1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: Should I take a break from teaching before completing my NQT induction year?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by janeywl, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Hi, I wondered if someone could give me some advice ...

I started my induction year in September 2014 in a one form entry school, after receiving a fail for my first term, and being informed that I was likely to receive a fail for my second also, I asked to be released from my contract early and left just before Easter (long story, was having a terrible time, no support from mentor, 'bullied' by a senior member of staff, ostracised/excluded etc)

As you can imagine this has had an affect on my confidence, I've taken a little time out and done some supply since Easter. I have been looking to secure a position for September and hopefully continue with my NQT induction (I have 2 terms to complete). I have had 3 interviews and been unsuccessful each time (again this is affecting my confidence) I am now thinking about looking for non-teaching jobs and taking some time out.

My question is how might this affect my NQT induction? Is there a deadline for completing induction? How likely is it that I will be able to secure another teaching position after taking a break? I worry that a break from teaching, and subsequent work/employment history in other areas listed on applications, will be viewed in a negative light. I'm worried that if i take a break I will find it difficult to return and fail to complete my NQT year.

Has anyone taken a break from teaching during their induction year? How difficult was it then to return and complete induction?

Thanks in advance x

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

There is no deadline for completing induction, but there is a limit to the time during which you can do supply (five years from the date of QTS).

I'd keep plugging on with the supply if you can. Your confidence will build, and one day there'll be a school out there which likes you when you're in on supply and then you're in pole position for their next vacancy.

3. There is no deadline and your one term is 'banked'. You may want to consider some supply before you come back full time, but remember that you can only do daily supply in a state school (LA managed) for up to 5 years from the date you gained QTS (This restriction does not apply to academies or free schools).

James