1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James-second extension?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by midget_gem74, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hi, I was just wondering if ayone could give me some advice.
    I graduated in 2008 but didn't start supply until Feb 2009 due to the amount of people joining the agency at the same time. My agency is really good, I get regular supply work and am often asked back to schools and told that I do a good job, the children like me, I have a good manner etc etc. Despite this I have only had 2 interviews, and so am yet to start my induction. I've had my letter checked a number of times (including paying the TES service) and told its good, I always act on the advice given about it. I've also been in a number of pools but nothing has comeabout from these. I've been applying in different parts of the country.
    The problem is that my extension is coming to an end in July. Would I be allowed to apply for a second extension? There is one school where I do regular supply and the head has said that if something like a maternity cover somes up he would be happy for me to do it. A TA position is coming up at the school I think (I spotted a resignation letter on the heads desk when we were sorting out supply dates), do you think I would be better off applying for this?
    It is so depressing knowing how I have always wanted to teach, that I must be a good teacher the amount of times I am asked back and yet I am now facing the prospect of having to move out of teaching. My life is on hold at the minute, while I still live at home with my parents and visit my boyfriend at weekends my uni friends are looking at buying their own houses. I try not to let it get me down but every now and again it hits me.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I thought I'd already replied to this query on another thread.
    You can't have another extension.
    There is the initial 16 month allowance to work on non-Induction teaching and a maximum 12 month extension period afterwards if your LA or LAs agree.
    If you got an extension of under 12 months from one LA, you could apply to other nearby LAs for an extension and they might award 12 months, dating from when your initial extension started (so still just the 12 month time period after the initial 16 month one).
    If your extension was 12 months, that's it for your ability to teach in the state 5-16 sector until you can get Induction work.
    You can teach as long as you like in the private sector and Induction is possible in that sector too.

3. Yes you have sorry Jubille. Thanks for the advice. Just put it up here to see if anyone had any advice about starting a TA job or were in the same boat.

4. Hi
    A further extension would not be possible, so you cannot carry on teaching in the state maintained sector unless you get a post that can provide induction (that is it lasts at least a term but it can be part time or full time - even one day per week, would be OK provided it lasted for at least a term) then you could carry on doing daily supply.
    Talk to the LA - see if they can help with possible induction posts in schools - try and get them to help you.
    I would also write to your MP to outline your case and ask that they raise it with the LA and DfE - it may not change things, but those in power need to know that while they mess with ITT there are good teachers who are now being prevented from working while they make plans to tarin more teachers (especially if you are primary).
    James