1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - School won't provide induction.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by stuart888, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am the process of trying to complete induction.
    I am starting work in a school after Easter, that I obtained through an agency. It will last for the whole term and I would like to complete my second term of induction. However, the school have told me that they may not be able to provide it. I telephoned them yesterday to clarify and was informed that this was because they wouldn't be able to provide the extra 10% PPA time. I found out that I am taking over another teacher who resigned and was obviously not an NQT.
    Are the school legally supposed to provide induction if it is expected that the NQT will spend a term at the school?
    I don't want to turn down work as I have my rent to pay, but at the same time I would like to get induction out of the way.
    Can anybody suggest what I should do?
    Thanks!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If your there for at least a term they legally have to provide induction. x

3. Hi. The school does not have a choice about placing you on induction. If the post lasts at least a term then they must provide PPA time as well as NQT time which together amount to a 19% timetable reduction. If they cannot provide this on a weekly basis then they may provide the time in short blocks, but by law they must provide it as well as mentoring and support. If they are unable or unwilling to provide it then they must seek to employ someone who is not a NQT.

Employing a NQT for a term or more and not placing them on induction is illegal and aLA could tak action against a school to prevent tem employing NQTs, but this would be rare. Clearly it is in your interests to take a job and complete another term, so suggest that you try to work with the school to identify periods where they coul provide blocks of time rather than a period each week, but take care that they do provide the time and don't suddenly find reason why, at short notice you can't have the time. At this point they will find it very difficult to get another teacher. Also be careful if they suggest using a cover supervisor to cover you as this means that you will still be doing all the planning and marking. James