1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James-Risk Taking

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by James_Williams, May 25, 2011.

1. As mentioned what one sees as risky others see as innovative and yet others as day-to-day.
    For me risk is about working outside the normal environment. So to give an example, when I was teaching some aspects of physics - the pendulum the children became the pendulum in the gym - so the physics lesson took place in the gym and we looked at swinging and we related the physics to athletics where I enlisted the PE teacher to co-teach (also useful for health and safety as I am no PE teacher and didn't know the equipment well.
    Perhaps in English a risk may be to study not a standard text but look at how science influences/has influenced English Literature - for example Frankenstein the novel came from Mary Shelley's reading of the reports of the experiments of Volta and how passing electricity through the dissected limbs produced movement (twitching).
    The fact that the first mention of a dinosaur in literature came in Charles Dickins work Bleak House (chapter 1 - the reference to a magalosaurus).
    Jurassic Park - written by a scientist and incorporating 'science' that is just beyond the possible to create living dinosaurs from ancient DNA.
    What linking with another very different department and seeing how you can combine what seem to be very different subjects in the minds of pupils.
    James

2. Surely the thing to do is to ask her what she means - rather than just guess? Some of the lateste books on teaching see Amazon have chapters on rish taking (Lazy teacher/Amazing Teacher/Teachers Toolkit). It is about making the pupils involved - trying out different activities that involve them. Always have the learning objective in mind, (otherwise you lesson risks being random) but think about interactive ways in which you can meet it involving the pupils. The opposite to taking risks is just talking at the pupils. Why not try getting them all involved in say the plenary first?[​IMG]Good Luck.