1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - References

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by bigpig, Sep 15, 2011.

1. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I qualified in 2010 and have not yet started my induction. I've been working on supply and have joined a new agency but they said that my final placement headteacher is refusing to give them a reference for me. No idea why as I'm sure they've given them in the past and there was no problems on my placement. Can they do this? They are my last teaching school where I have spent a long length of time and my agency said they need their reference to get me work.

2. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I qualified in 2010 and have not yet started my induction. I've been working on supply and have joined a new agency but they said that my final placement headteacher is refusing to give them a reference for me. No idea why as I'm sure they've given them in the past and there was no problems on my placement. Can they do this? They are my last teaching school where I have spent a long length of time and my agency said they need their reference to get me work.

3. Contact the school directly and ask them to provide a reference. Keep calling and asking until they give in. If there were no problems on your placement they're just being lazy.

4. I suspect that because the head did not have direct dealings with you as a trainee they feel they cannot provide a reference. Contact your mentor at the school and ask if they can, in conjunction with the head provide a reference. Altrenatively, if they have not done so, they could approach your university tutor.
    James