1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - Redundancy when on a training contract

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Cassiefrog25, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I do hope you can help me.
    I am just a few months into my training contract and things have been going well, but my school has just notified us that they are in financial difficulties and are going to be making redundancies.
    I feel really vulnerable as I am one of the last in. But how will I get another school to take me on for the rest of this year, as my subject is not a high-demand one, and everything was going really well here. Vacancies were filled back in the autumn, like my one was.
    I am concerned that I have been here only a few months I will have no redundancy rights, but I am wondering if my teaching contract itself bestows any rights which could keep me here till my year is up?
    The Head must have known this catastrophe was on the cards when he placed me under enormous pressure to accept the job there and then. I turned down another similar job to come here, and now this has happened. I feel cheated, tricked, and that my career has been ruined before it has even got off to a proper start.
    Please help!

2. Me again - sorry, an error :

I meant to say "Does my TRAINING contract bestow any rights ..."

Cassie

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

What do you mean by training contract???
    Just being the last one in isn't the be all and end all, if you are in a weird subject and the only teacher then to make you redundant means scrapping the subject, it's often the bigger departments which are more at risk. Also older teachers often appreciate the opportunity to retire a few years early and choose to leave.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Whilst what the other poster says is true (not necessarily first in first out) people with less than 2 years service are a soft target for redundancy (it is a cheap option).
    Has the Head indicated that these redundancies will take place before the end of the year? In my experience, it is not such a short process. The Head will need to sound out for voluntary redundancy/early retirements. Then they need to go through the process of selection/evaluation. It is also good practice (though not compulsary) for all sorts of consultations to happen for low number redundancies.
    Are you on a permanent or temporary contract? The Head, if they knew of impending doom, may have placed new starters on fixed term contracts. This means that when the contract term ends the contract ends. This is a "good" way of getting around the need for redundancies (from the Head's perspective). Of course, it depends on where the perceived "over staffing" is.
    I wouldn't imagine so.
    This is not necessarily true. It could be the best thing that ever happened to you. Jobs tend to come out in force now the Christmas is done. Keep eyes peeled in Spring term.