1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, question about the QTS Standards

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Janna5, Dec 20, 2011.

1. I have 2 questions about the 33 standards.
    I have been able to tick a lot of them during my first placement; I had a wonderful placement, my mentor was really helpful and experienced and the department very supportive.
    Most of the evidence for each standard will be the observations of my mentor and the teachers I've worked with.
    1. Are those standards done or will I have to start afresh and tick them all again in School Experience 2?
    2. Is a mentor's or teacher's observation a strong enough evidence or do I have to add more evidences e.g. resources, reflections, pupils' work?
    Thank you!

2. I have 2 questions about the 33 standards.
    I have been able to tick a lot of them during my first placement; I had a wonderful placement, my mentor was really helpful and experienced and the department very supportive.
    Most of the evidence for each standard will be the observations of my mentor and the teachers I've worked with.
    1. Are those standards done or will I have to start afresh and tick them all again in School Experience 2?
    2. Is a mentor's or teacher's observation a strong enough evidence or do I have to add more evidences e.g. resources, reflections, pupils' work?
    Thank you!

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

During my PGCE, our course tutors expected/preferred us to demonstrate at least 3 pieces of evidence for each standard, preferably one per placement. That way you had backups and you could also show progress - your Placement 3 evidence is likely to be stronger than your placement 1, for example (and if you're cunning, you can slide in some reflection for other standards). You may take a different approach to assessment in later placements (because of new ideas, more challenging classes etc), so it's always best to keep on collecting evidence wherever you can.
    You won't necessarily be able to meet them all in every placement, of course - you may not find there's a chance to get on a trip for learning outside of the classroom, for example.

4. The idea behind the standards is not that they are ticked and forgottten. You should be able to meet the standards consistently by the end of the course. Some providers ask for a specific amount of evidence e.g. on average there pieces per standard, but overal;l it is how well and consistently you meet and continue meeting the standards that counts. By reducing the standards to a ticklist there is always the danger that once ticked it is forgotten.
    Ideally you should strive to meet all the standards in placement 1 and placement 2 (if you are on a one year PGCE). Sometimes ther4e is no opportunity to meet a standard in a placement in which case it should be a priority for your asecond placement.
    James