1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, Pupil Progress in the Autumn Term... argh!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by pumpkinsoup88, Nov 30, 2011.

1. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

So, I've assessed all pupils I teach (I am a Primary NQT). I'm happy enough with my Numeracy progress, I can see it, and children have generally made 1 point progress.

However, my Literacy on the other hand is no way near as good! I am quite happyish with my assessing. I gave the children a story to write independently (with no adult input and this was not and end of unit assessment), and I'd say half of the children in my class have stayed the same, the other half have made considerable or a little progress and 1 child has gone back a point. We use the point system btw.

I'm worried that this is going to look terrible! I don't know what's normal progress. I do think obviously it has taken some time to get to know the kids, and perhaps in my Literacy time, we have been spreading ourselves quite thin (a big emphasis on reading).

Any advice? Thanks :)

2. pumpkinsoup88

pumpkinsoup88 New commenter

So, I've assessed all pupils I teach (I am a Primary NQT). I'm happy enough with my Numeracy progress, I can see it, and children have generally made 1 point progress.

However, my Literacy on the other hand is no way near as good! I am quite happyish with my assessing. I gave the children a story to write independently (with no adult input and this was not and end of unit assessment), and I'd say half of the children in my class have stayed the same, the other half have made considerable or a little progress and 1 child has gone back a point. We use the point system btw.

I'm worried that this is going to look terrible! I don't know what's normal progress. I do think obviously it has taken some time to get to know the kids, and perhaps in my Literacy time, we have been spreading ourselves quite thin (a big emphasis on reading).

Any advice? Thanks :)

3. It is really hard tosay what is 'normal' progress as there are so many factors that need to be looked at. The thing to remember as a teacher is that you are accountable for pupil progress but you are not responsible for it - there is a difference.
    Being accountable means that you have to show that what you are planning and teaching is suitable for the class, meets the needs of the pupils and differentiates for the ability range the group has and enables all pupilsto be stretchedso that they can aspire to achieve their full potential.
    In literacy there is a need for the pupils to show that they are developing their ability to write, to write for different audiences or in different genres, and that in their work you can identify how they have learned, from your lessons, to apply that new knowledge to improve their writing.
    Children will progress at different rates in different subjects so they should be assesed on their progress in literacy in comparison to the starting point (i.e. the start of the term) rather than comparing their progress in literacy with their progress in say numeracy where they mayt show more (or less in some cases) progress.
    Evidence of progress will come from an analysis of their written work over time where you could show how say, initially they could not sequence their writing to produce a narrative account of something to now when they can do so or have made steps towards being able to do so.
    From what you write is seems that in terms of accountability you are fine in that you you provided for them to do allowed progress to be made, if some pupils did not make expected progress then the keyt thing is to know why this did not happen - for example were there external factors that prevented progress (e.g. SEN) - and what, in your future planning you are doing to address the problem.
    I hope this helps.