1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - Procedure

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Gleeful, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Arrghhh.

My mentor has never been a mentor before. I'm not sure he is right in what he is saying.
    I'm not meeting the NQT standards, maybe about 10 of them? Passing all others.
    They didn't follow the correct cause for concern procedure on the TDA site.
    Now he is saying that after 2 failed terms (didn't think you could 'fail' a term, only the final one?) my position in the school becomes 'untenable' and the LEA get involved and I will maybe have to move somewhere else.
    Now I've done my research, and that doesn't seem right. He seems so convinced though.

2. Arrghhh.

My mentor has never been a mentor before. I'm not sure he is right in what he is saying.
    I'm not meeting the NQT standards, maybe about 10 of them? Passing all others.
    They didn't follow the correct cause for concern procedure on the TDA site.
    Now he is saying that after 2 failed terms (didn't think you could 'fail' a term, only the final one?) my position in the school becomes 'untenable' and the LEA get involved and I will maybe have to move somewhere else.
    Now I've done my research, and that doesn't seem right. He seems so convinced though.

3. Hi
    OK, well, to start you do not fail term by term. IF the school is saying that you have 'failed' two terms then they would have to be able to show the LA what support mechanisms they put in place, what extra help and training was provided, what targets were set and how they monitored how you were meeting (or not) said targets and they have to identify which standards you were not meeting in term one and two and what they did to help you meet them. They should also have informed the LA as soon as they thought that insufficient progress was not being made and there should have been independent observations of your teaching to coinfirm their fears.
    At the end of term 1 and term two there should have been reports sent to the LA which you should have seen and signed and, if you disagree with anything, have had a chance to comment on. These forms indicate whether or not you are making satisfactory progress. Do you have these? What did they say?
    The statutory guidance says that the idea of failing should not come as a shock in the final term. If they have only now identified which standards you are not meeting and they have not put in place any support or extra training then if they try to recommend a fail you would have excellent grounds for an appeal and the LA can extend induction by one, two or even three terms.
    Your mentor has it all wrong I'm afraid. The LA should already be involved if you have not made sufficient progress in term 1 and 2. If they have not been then it is the school that is failing to meet the statutory guidance.
    James

4. Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. I'm only half way through term 2. Well, term 2 will end at Easter. They have not had an independent observation yet - who can do this? Have had SLT observe, and an AST but nobody from county.

5. Also, the LA have not been in touch with me, should they have been?

6. I'd like to know this too. Last I heard was in January, a man from the LA was meeting with my mentor and induction tutor but I haven't heard anything since...should I have heard from them?

7. All NQTs should ahve been gioven the named contact in the LA and you are free to cxontact them directly. The named contact should have been informed that there was a NQT who is in danger of not meeting standards and yes they should liaise with the school. The independent observation can be from a member of the SLT or an AST but in many cases the LA will also wish to come in and see the NQT and perhaps observe as well. So do be proactive and contact them yourself. Let your mentor know that you are doing this - also make sure that you contact your union for help, advice and support they may not need to do anything atb present but if the situation does not improve or if the school tries to pressure you to resign don't dop anything unless and until you have spoken toi your union and gained independent advice.
    James

8. Thankyou James. I have not been told to contact the person, so I will do that off my own back.