1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - previous head refusing reference

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by James_Williams, May 12, 2011.

1. I think your best course of action would be to involve your union and ask them to negotiate on your behalf an open referewnce or an agreed closed reference. At the very least the Head (or even the LA) shouold provide a statement about your employment so that you do not appear to have gaps. You could ask potential employers to not request references unless and until they offer you a post, then explain that there is a breakdown in relationships and offer alternative references.
    James

2. I had a very similar problem as an NQT, and although it seems like you want to go straight into another job, I got around it by finding an unrelated job that didn't mind I didn't have a recent reference, and then using that good reference to get back into a job that did require one.

I did try to get an agreed reference and was unsuccessful. You could try doing supply for a while and using that as a reference: even if you only do day to day and can't get a reference from a particular school you were at long term, some places will be happy with a reference from the recruitment consultant.

The Edudicator