1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, please solve my aims-objectives-outcomes headache!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by missSAM, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hi there,

Thankyou for your time in reading this post.
    Im having difficulty in developing my first scheme of work, its creating a huge headache and taking far too much thought and time. Ideally I want a scheme of work that lays out a clear aim, learning objective and outcomes for each lesson, from which a pupil can relate to and be in charge of their own learning. Im struggling trying to distinguish a difference between objectives and outcomes - and how i can differentiate the learning.

I understand the concepts of each - aim - the intentions of the teacher
    - objective - what students should of done by the end of the lesson (measurable)
    - outcomes - how they are going to do this, achievements of the learner.

To give an example for one of my lessons....
    Aim - To understand the basic principles of freehand drawing and rendering in an introduction to Product Design.
    Objective - 1. Identify key elements of the design process.
    2. Experiment with drawing shapes in freehand.
    3. Demonstrate rendering and tonal shading technique.
    Outcomes - 1. Order the design process in a class exercise.
    2. Produce freehand sketches of a range of parallel lines, 3D shapes, circle and cylinder shapes.
    3. Complete shading 3d shapes using the arrow to show the direction of the light.

I feel like im repeating myself in objectives/outcomes and that my outcomes do not show differentiation for example - all pupils will be able to, most pupils will be able to, some pupils will be able to...etc
    I think i have overcomplicated it completely and worried about going in the wrong direction with this, if you could possibly help i would be so grateful? I feel stuck in a rutt!

Sam

2. Hi there,

Thankyou for your time in reading this post.
    Im having difficulty in developing my first scheme of work, its creating a huge headache and taking far too much thought and time. Ideally I want a scheme of work that lays out a clear aim, learning objective and outcomes for each lesson, from which a pupil can relate to and be in charge of their own learning. Im struggling trying to distinguish a difference between objectives and outcomes - and how i can differentiate the learning.

I understand the concepts of each - aim - the intentions of the teacher
    - objective - what students should of done by the end of the lesson (measurable)
    - outcomes - how they are going to do this, achievements of the learner.

To give an example for one of my lessons....
    Aim - To understand the basic principles of freehand drawing and rendering in an introduction to Product Design.
    Objective - 1. Identify key elements of the design process.
    2. Experiment with drawing shapes in freehand.
    3. Demonstrate rendering and tonal shading technique.
    Outcomes - 1. Order the design process in a class exercise.
    2. Produce freehand sketches of a range of parallel lines, 3D shapes, circle and cylinder shapes.
    3. Complete shading 3d shapes using the arrow to show the direction of the light.

I feel like im repeating myself in objectives/outcomes and that my outcomes do not show differentiation for example - all pupils will be able to, most pupils will be able to, some pupils will be able to...etc
    I think i have overcomplicated it completely and worried about going in the wrong direction with this, if you could possibly help i would be so grateful? I feel stuck in a rutt!

Sam

3. Hi Sam,
    From what I have gathered, the SOW should give a basic over view of a unit. The SOWs that I have been given don't include objectives, only general aims and learning outcomes and these are quite brief. As far as I'm aware, most of the detail and specific learning objectives go into lesson plans. If I were you I'd forget the objectives (as this much detail is uneccessary at this stage) and concentrate in the learning outcomes. The SOW I'm working with at the moment has 5 L.O for a period of 14 weeks. You should be able to use the awarding body (Edexcell, OCN etc) learning objectives as a guide which you'll be able to find online.
    How you intend to differentiate is not evidenced in the SOW learning outcomes - this is a seperate section. A large paragraph outlining a variety of teaching and learning resources and an explanation of how you and the resources will challenge and support learning will be sufficient for this section.
    Hope this helps
    Nicola