1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - PGCE without QTS

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jobobaggins, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hi I am currently doing my final teaching practice as part of a PGCE SCITT course, however, I am detesting the teaching, I hate it and after much soul searching I just know that I don't want to this as a full-time career. The thought of completing the four weeks alone has made me so ill that I am currently not able to work. I would like to know if I would still be able to receive a PGCE without achieving the QTS? I have passed all my assignments, including the M-level ones, but do I have to complete the final placement to achieve the PGCE or is that purely to achieve the QTS? Thanks for any help! Jobo

2. Hi
    I'm sorry that teaching is not for you, but it is sometimes the case that it just does not work out.
    It will depend on how the SCITT and the provider who validates the PGCE have set it up. In some instances it is possible to gain a PGCE without QTS as the PGCE is the 'academic' part of the programme and the QTS is the professional bit which allows you to teach.
    Contact the SCITT and ask them for advice. Only they can answer this question fully.
    James

3. Thank you for your help! I have decided to leave the course and return to being a teaching assistant, as I still love working with children, but the teaching bit is so not me! I will contact my SCITT and see what they have to say.

4. Dear James,

I may be doing this incorrectly by replying to this post. However, I was 'encouraged' to leave my PGCE SCITT in May/June of 2012 which I did.

I had most teaching observations passed but had difficult 2nd placement and knew I would have to re-submit my 3rd and last assignment.

Thinking that I had no options and little trust in the process in general, I took the 'advice' and left the course.

Looking for jobs recently the option of PGCE without QTS came up. I am looking for advice on this option. Who decides. SCITT or University that makes the award. At this stage it is the principle that I am interested in before I decide if I should pursue any retrospective enquiries.

I am already disappointed as I don't think my course were necessarily acting in my best interests.

Thanks

5. A PGCE is an academic award and as such it would be the university that decides on whether or not to award it. However, it may not be that simple. It is certain;y possible to get a PGCE without QTS from some universities and providers, but others link the PGCE and QTS and so in some cases if you do not get one you don't get the other. The assignment that would need to be resubmitted almost certainly would be part of the PGCE. There may also be rules about resubmission and deadlines for this. It may also be the case that a withdrawal means that you will no longer qualify for a PGCE biut only the university could tell you about this.

The Sage