1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, Pay question?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ESLAB, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Hi, I am a NQT and am in the extremely lucky position that I have just been offered a permanent position when my one year temporary contract comes to an end. The offer is worded as being "under the same conditions as now" which I assume is referring to hours and pay etc. My question is this: I am 43 years old with much prior school experience (voluntary parent helper for years and then TA/HLTA whilst I gained my degree). I have read that Pay can be increased dependent on relevant experience. Would I have a case to approach my HT and ask to go up the Pay Scale? (The main reason I need to do this is because my husband was made redundant last year and is starting up his own business, so we are living off my income at the moment - any extra I can get would obviously help enormously). If you could let me know whether asking for an increase in Pay is realistic in these harsh economic times, that would be much appreciated. Also, if so, any advice on how to go about bringing up the subject of Pay??!! Thanks.

2. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Thanks for your replies. I take your point about my experience not being anything out of the ordinary, but I was hoping that key skills which have translated from my previous career might count for something? Such as highly organised and very proactive (have already set up a daily whole school Wake and Shake; a whole school reading time slot; taken responsibility for assessing every child in KS1 on the Read, Write, Inc literacy programme every half term, to name a few initiatives). The reason I thought I might have a valid request is because my Deputy Head was surprised when I mentioned that I was on the starting salary as she herself had also been a mature NQT and had started a few steps up because of her age/experience. I would also be very happy to take on extra curriculum responsibilities, but not sure if I can this early on in my teaching career? Still undecided whether it is a feasible request or not - any other advice welcome. Thanks.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Hmm - I wouldn't bank on it if I were you. As has already been said, your previous education experience is nothing that most ITT entrants don't already have and your previous work experience isn't really an issue at this point - the time to ask was when you were first appointed and then I wouldn't have held out much hope. As a head I wouldn't put someone up a point for the reasons you describe.

4. In this instance, it would be a case of asking, but being prepared for them to say no. Pay can be negotiated, but a case needs to be made and that case will vary from person to person. Generally you would move tothe next pay point (provided you are not at the top fo the scale already- which you do not seem to be) given that you have proved your worth, the school shopuld at least do this. Cash is tight all around and schools are having budgets cut, but heads can be very resourceful.
    James