1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James... or anyone that can help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MsKelly_83, May 24, 2011.

1. Dear James,

Without starting a rant I wonder if you could offer some advice on what to do next as I'm starting to go crazy. I am coming to the end of my PGCE in PC, the FE sector has had nothing to offer all year! So I have started to apply to secondary schools in hope of something coming up. I'm from London and due to my circumstances I can't consider relocating.

My subject is Business Studies, there has not been a massive demand in London for business teachers ( in my view), I have only made 4 applications so far as I have been a bit selective. Due to my circumstances and the fact that I don't want to become a secondary school teacher, hence why I have followed the PC PGCE.

I have a mortgage, and hoping to get married next year! But with no job prospects in my sector and secondary schools being reluctant to employ a teacher with a PC PGCE, I'm not sure where to turn or what to do next? I am starting to wonder if I made the right choice doing a PGCE. It seems that many PGCE students whether you are secondary, primary or PC are in the same boat.

I guess I would like some advice on what PC teachers do when the market goes down? Do you think that even though it has been recommended that QTLS and QTS become equal, schools will want to employ PC teachers? Also has the demand for business studies teachers always been this low??

Any advice or words of wisdom you or anyone else can offer would be appreciated
    Rant over

Thank you

2. Dear James,

Without starting a rant I wonder if you could offer some advice on what to do next as I'm starting to go crazy. I am coming to the end of my PGCE in PC, the FE sector has had nothing to offer all year! So I have started to apply to secondary schools in hope of something coming up. I'm from London and due to my circumstances I can't consider relocating.

My subject is Business Studies, there has not been a massive demand in London for business teachers ( in my view), I have only made 4 applications so far as I have been a bit selective. Due to my circumstances and the fact that I don't want to become a secondary school teacher, hence why I have followed the PC PGCE.

I have a mortgage, and hoping to get married next year! But with no job prospects in my sector and secondary schools being reluctant to employ a teacher with a PC PGCE, I'm not sure where to turn or what to do next? I am starting to wonder if I made the right choice doing a PGCE. It seems that many PGCE students whether you are secondary, primary or PC are in the same boat.

I guess I would like some advice on what PC teachers do when the market goes down? Do you think that even though it has been recommended that QTLS and QTS become equal, schools will want to employ PC teachers? Also has the demand for business studies teachers always been this low??

Any advice or words of wisdom you or anyone else can offer would be appreciated
    Rant over

Thank you

3. As a post-compulsory qualified teacher you do not offer the same flexibility in timetabling as someone who is qualified throughout the 11-19 sector. What you have quoted is currently only a recommendation and Headteachers will always prefer teachers who have experience throughout their age range (even if that is just placement experience). Thinking from a schools point of view, if business studies take up dips then you will be looking to fill the teachers timetable up with something. This usually ends up being KS3 PSHCE, citizenship, IT and you wouldn't have any experience with this age range which could be tricky with behaviour management etc.
    Business studies has never been a shortage subject. As an option subject it is very much subject to the changes in fashion and politics. It has become even less of a priority now that the EBacc quality measure has been introduced. We had a business dept of 4 which is now being cut to 2.

4. Wow thanks for the words of encouragement.....NOT hummm,so, what you're basically saying is ''don't bother applying'' . I'm applying for these roles to keep a roof over my head got that little thing called a mortgage you see, and I have to do what I have to do to keep hold of my home, and the chance of getting married next year alive. FYI as mentioned in my post I don't actually WANT to be a secondary school teacher so don't worry us PC teachers are not after your jobs LOL

Anyone else got anything more encouraging to say? Or in the same situation that can may be offer so useful advice?

Thanks

5. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

Wow. The petulance and childishness of some people will never cease to amaze me.

kritur was merely providing you with an honest assessment of the situation as they viewed it. Clearly, this was difficult for you to read, but I suggest that when seeking people's thoughts in the future you prepare yourself for the possibility that you might hear something you don't necessarily want or expect to hear.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No, I'm afraid not. Kritur has more or less said it all. You are not trained as a secondary teacher, schools (at present) have their pick of teachers, so are not going to employ someone clueless about all except their subject and a narrow age range. That is how it is.

Maybe start applying for all and every FE post that comes up as possible for you. Stop being picky. Jobseekers cannot afford to be too picky at the moment.