1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James (or anyone).. Pre PGCE Preparation

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by meggriffin, Mar 16, 2011.

1. I am starting a PGCE in september for Secondary English. I currently work a 4 day week and have a lot of holiday to take so I was going to spend time preparing for my course.
    I have read threads that say spend time with family and get R&R but I already do this (lucky me!) so I want to get some preparation in before the course begins.
    Can anyone recommend things that I should concentrate on? Reading the books on the curriculum? Spending time brushing up on grammar etc or reading books on becomming a teacher. This is what I think I should do but could anyone point me in the direction of what would be MORE useful to do in the next 5 months?
    Thank you!
    Elimay.

2. Buy the QTS Audit books and start brushing up on your subject knowledge before the QTS tests. That way, you should be able to take them right at the start and get them out of the way as soon as you can
    Familiarise yourself with the National Curriculum/assessment practices for your relevant Key Stages
    Perhaps have a read of some books on becoming a teacher, but don't spend lots on a shed full of books that you may not use very often
    Also, perhaps look on TES resources for some useful lesson plans/tips to get you thinking!
    Good luck, and yes, remember to RELAX! :)

3. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

Most of the books you read now won't be much use out of the context of a placement class or a university assignment.
    I agree practicing the QTS tests is a good idea - the sooner you can pass them the better.
    If possible the best thing you could do would be to spend time in a classroom as much as possible - see if you can volunteer at a local school on your day off.

4. Agree with that and get as much rest and recreation now, and spend quality time with your loved ones, as you will be invisible for a year! If you lack classroom and school experience, now is the chance to get some without the pressure and scrutiny you will be under on placement. Observe lots of teachers and learn their techniques, esp for controlling behaviour, getting attention and motivating pupils to work.
    Do some background reading and practise for skills tests, but don't overdo it and keep away from teachnical books on theory - all you ever need to do you can do on the course, with targeted reading of relevant literature for your assignments.

5. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

1) read as many teen lit books as possible (good research and they're easy)
    2) think about your english background, are you lit or lang heavy? Start to brush up on the side that you are weaker on.
    3) read as much shakespeare as possible, ive covered 3 diff plays throughout my pgce and none of them were ones that is studied myself at school - get yourself familiar with them now and make your life easier.
    4) look at the AQA, WJEC and Edexce syllabuses and see what texts they teach to gcse - may as well try and get ahead :)

good luck hun xx

6. Thank you ALL for your suggestions. It really is a big help - I wasn't even aware I could start practicing for the QTS Skills Tests!
    I will certainly relax (with a book!) in the garden :))

7. amarantine

amarantine New commenter

Yes! Get your QTS tests out of the way as soon as you start your PGCE, so get practising! Wish I'd done that, I'm still to take my Numeracy test and I wish I'd done them as soon as I started - it takes the pressure off!
    Also, buy loads of stationery; folders, pens, pencils - in every class you teach when you get started there will be kids going "I need a pen Miss/Sir!"If you're really keen, get organised - organise all the stuff you already have, like PGCE applications, details about the course etc etc in a big lever arch file and label it - I'm not very organised at all, and I found that by doing this with all my paperwork has really helped me.
    And, as everyone else has said, rest, chill out and have time to yourself, because for the next year you won't have that - not as much, anyway! Make the most of your free time!