1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James (or anyone for that matter) Pre PGCE advice needed

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by EllieWhite, Apr 11, 2011.

1. EllieWhite

EllieWhite New commenter

I'm starting my PGCE history course this September at Swansea Met and as I'm only working weekends at the moment, I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything I need to do before I start my course?
    Ellie

2. EllieWhite

EllieWhite New commenter

I'm starting my PGCE history course this September at Swansea Met and as I'm only working weekends at the moment, I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything I need to do before I start my course?
    Ellie

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Spend some time observing in any school that will let you in the door.
    Make notes of what goes on, what strategies the teachers use in their lessons - how they give structure. Pay particular attention to the way the teacher manages behaviour in the class. Behaviour management is, in many ways, the be-all and end-all in teaching.
    If you're doing a secondary PGCE, your course will most likely require you to observe a primary school for a week so you could try to do that now too.

4. Contact your provider and sk if they have any pre-course advice.
    Familiarise yoruself with the content of the various history specifications.
    You could also keep abreast of things by looking at the History Association website:
    http://www.history.org.uk/index.php

James

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Look at the National Curriculum and Exam Board websites but bear in mind it can all change with the current review of the secondary curriculum. Visit a bookshop in a local university and have a look at the sort of texts they are selling particularly the generic ones about behaviour management and teaching them how to present information.These can then be picked up second hand or from a local library ( assuming you still have one) . Get plenty of sleep you will need it- the Gower is wonderful in summer get down there while the weather lasts

• Familiarise yourself with the QTS skills tests, you will need to pass these in order to get your NQT (can be found on the TDA website)
    • Your course should provide you with a reading list - Core text : Learning to Teach in the Secondary Education - Capel.S. Is very good and where all of our lecturers told us to source information from. Dont go mad and try to read the whole thing, just browse a few sections:
    • B4L
    • AFL
    • Go on a stationary shopping spree. Folders, polly pockets, dividers, paper, pens etc. You will be expected to keep files on all your classes, so get organised and some training managers like to scare you with imprompt inspections. (or maybe thats just mine, she is lovely though)
    Anyway, enjoy your Summer!! You will need it. PGCE is intense especially the first term. If you get over the Christmas hump its alll goood!
    Good Luck

6. OO I also second this!!! I was desperatly ill over the Christmas hol. Body broke down, ruined my family Christmas, with an assignment to write. LOTS OF VITAMIN C!!

7. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

I highly recommend berocca! I swear it is the only thing that got me through my first two placements - the dark mornings and evenings and the workload would have been too much if coupled with being ill.

8. shughesbio88

shughesbio88 New commenter

Buy some nice "work clothes" that will
    make those c*** winter mornings at least slightly brighter

See as much of your friends and family as possible

Read up on the history specs and look at (and
    possibly do) some GCSE papers... see the standard you need to get
    your kids to

comb the TES resources section, become friendly
    with it. It's a life saver to have a bank of ideas you can try
    especially when you have (lesson) writer's block

ring local schools politely introduce yourself and
    ask if you can come in for an afternoon to observe the teachers (this
    might be hard schools are busy at the moment - but free help is
    always welcome)

Read some of the core texts and associate bumf
    from Uni and the department of education, particularly initiatives
    etc. you will be grateful for the the prep time on the theory side

Lastly, and most importantly relax, you have a
    busy year ahead of you!

9. I wonder if you could offer some advice on this subject, shughesbio88, as I am currently trying to update my wardrobe in advance of my PGCE (I'm doing primary)?
    Every school I have volunteered/observed in has seemed to be extremely casual in terms of dress code - to the point where I think I may have to donate much of my current office wear (pencil skirts, heels, dry clean only suits etc) to my sister!
    I don't know if this is unique to primary or these particular schools, but any advice as to some good staples for next year would be a Godsend to me right now :) I'm only 24, so it's quite difficult taking cues from teachers in their 40's and 50's as to what to wear......

10. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Hiya NH - there's a great thread on ladies work attire - I've also rehauled my wardrobe and took some advice from it https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/182945.aspx?PageIndex=10

11. Ooh, thank you! I've just had a quick peek (while at work, very naughty of me) and it could well be the guidance I'm after [​IMG]
    My OH, on the other hand, looked very worried when I mentioned that I would need to do some wardrobe updating......

12. shughesbio88

shughesbio88 New commenter

Don't wear dryclean-only in primary!! haha think you may have already guessed that.[​IMG]

I have a pair of lovely black monsoon trousers that cheer me up when I'm in a bad mood at work but I tend to wear shift dresses and cardies. I work in an FE college at the moment so I can wear jeans to work, but I feel a bit too casual and being so young (22) I like to look different to the students (although at the HE fair I took my AS students to the other week I got mistaken for a student [​IMG])
    I also have a varied collection of interesting headbands which cheer me up :)