1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James (or anyone else)- behaviour management.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ellie22, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Have you talked to your mentor about this?

2. I last spoke to my mentor the Thursday before 'Spring Break' and was basically told to find something that works for me. She wasn't in today (the first day back after the hols).

The problem being I am finding it incredibly hard to 'find something that works for me.' They do not respond to names on the board (just keep talking). When I send them outside for a few mins they act remorseful when I go and talk to them and remind them of how to behave (I often get a 'sorry miss), but 5 minutes later they just start up chatting again. The problem is it's not just a few individuals really, but more often than not I feel there is never a time when the whole class is quiet.

I do not expect the pupils to work in silence, but I equally do not expect them to talk over me when I am giving instructions.

I know there are kids in my classes who want to learn, but when everyone else is chatting they'll often be the ones to call out 'shut up' and that just exacerbates the situation. And to be honest even those kids are chatty when they're not supposed to be, just less often than the others.

The thing that really gets me is that the kids have been told. They've been told by me, the cover supervisors. Even at times the actual class teacher has 'had a go' at them about their behaviour, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

I'm feeling quite stressed out at the moment as not only do I have this to sort, but also my research project and another assignment. I didn't sleep particularly well last night (was worrying about going back after the hols) and had a good cry.

It's incredibly frustrating.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you ask the class teacher to teach a couple of lessons with each class for you so you can watch and see what they do?
    Can you use some non-contact time to observe the same classes in other lessons with other teachers and see what they do?

If they are the same all over the school, then worry not about your tutor coming. It isn't your fault and there is nothing you can do, except remember to never ever apply to this school for a job.

If they are well behaved elsewhere then hassle those teachers until they give you some ideas of what to try.

I notice you don't really mention any sanctions. Telling off is all very well, but is soon forgotten. Sending out for a few mins only brings a sorry as they want to come back in and carry on with their friends. It is not a punishment and is clearly ineffective.
    When you set a detention do you ensure they come? Go and get them if necessary. Ring parents if they don't turn up? Speak to HODs and HOYs if you need to. Senior staff should be supporting you in managing these children, not cover supervisors. Demand that they do.

4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

You mentioned making lessons fun. Unless you're under real pressure to do this then...don't think you are obliged to.

When something like this was debated in the Behaviour forum, people took different sides, but I tend to agree - loosely - with "don't try anything fun until you've got them on-side". Individual, silent, textbook work. This is the most boring type of lesson, and it's where I still feel guilty and think "I'm not actually teaching them here am I?", but it sounds as if your priority is behaviour management, and this is the easiest sort of lesson to set your expectations.

As they get used to this regime, you can slowly re-introduce the fun stuff.

5. shughesbio88

shughesbio88 New commenter

Although I'm still a PGCE student, I've been there. My 1st placement the school had no real behaviour policy which ment the students didn't understand the boundries and were constantly "testing" how far they could go... or it felt that way. This is what I found worked.

<ol>[*]Be consistant. if you do it for one, you need to do it for all. [*]Make the rules as a group... talk about it and agree them as a class. It makes it seem more democratic and the students seem to respond. [*]Greet pupils at the door. Don't let them just wander into your lesson. Make sure they have "bell work, you've corrected their uniforms etc. If the lesson has a clear start their behaviour seems to settle a bit [*]Give clear warnings and make sure the sanctions are clear[*]If you send pupils out, don't make them wait too long for you to talk to them. When you go out to talk to them, leave the door partially open, and make sure you are firm [*]Make sure you reward the students for behaving well. I give out tickets, if you get one you get a rewad at the end of the lesson, you can take the tickets away if their behaviour deteriates over the lesson.</ol>
    Hope this helps, I'm obviously not an expert but I've found that this "works for me".