1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James NUT or not support

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by littlemissraw, Mar 24, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If your not happy with the union person either ask for someone else or change unions. I wish I had.
    What standards are you failing to meet? They need to tell you so you can act on it not just give you a general 'you don't fit in' excuse.
    Get looking for a new job ASAP, do you really want to work at a school that treats people like that, do your best not to be pushed, the job situation everywhere isnb't great. Me and my OH have just both lost our jobs with in weeks of each other and were absolutely terriffied about how we will cope.I've started up a business but can't see it generating a real income for some time yet.
    Best of luck. PM me if you need to. It IS only the last term where pass or fail judgement is made so try not to worry x

2. Thanks Littlemissraw, I was thinking of changing tbh, and I am glad you agreed it was the last term only that counts. I am looking for other jobs but this job and all its pressures takes up all my evenings and weekends and I find it hard to complete apps. I dont want to stay but I dont know if I could get anything for Easter at this late stage and I dont want to go with another agency.

3. littlemissraw

I know what you mean, apps are so time consuming but if they don't think your great at your school I'd be tempted to shift time away from them and to whats best for you - finding another job where your talents are appreciated. xx

4. Thanks for your support

5. Thanks James, does that then mean my induction will stop if the necessary amount of observations have not taken place? This might be playing into their hands if I wait for them to suggest another observation.

6. A failure on the part of the school would not automativcally stop induction. The LA will be expecting a completed first term assessment and all the necessary paperwork - if the school fails to submit this they can take action against the school - the school's failures should not disadvantage you. You should also take responsibility and ask for the procedures to be followed for your induction and do this in writing so that you can show the LA that any failing is on their part not yours. If you can, keep a small portfolio of evidence against the core standards so that, if asked you can show that you are making satisfactory progress and the burdenb of proof is then on the school to provide evidence that you are not. They would also have to explain why they didn't follow the proper procedures if they felt you were not making satisfactory progress.
    James

7. Thanks James, I did speak to someone regarding my 10% and they said to leave it with them and they would sort it out with my mentor. That was 3 weeks ago.
    I have also been told I don't need to keep a file of sorts but just remember what I have done so when I meet with my mentor or whoever ( I am not sure who is what) we would go through the standards together to make sure nothing is missed out.
    Should I be doing this myself then? I just feel so confused and scared to speak up. I feel like everyone has written me off already and if I speak to one person they discuss me and don't come back to me with answers. It feels like they are waiting to see what I do next.

8. littlemissraw

If you think there is any danger of them trying not to pass you you need to get your file of evidence together to prove that they should. x

9. Thanks littlemissraw.