1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, NQTs and school trips

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by elizabeth1972, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    Are NQTs allowed to lead day trips out of school for their classes? I have a friend who is an NQT in another school and she organised and led a residential trip for her class, with her as the only qualified teacher and yet my headteacher won't let me organise a day trip without having someone else "in charge".
    It's not that I mind having another teacher coming along, not at all, but I'm a bit disgruntled that I always seem to have to have someone holding my hand and organising things for me. Other teachers in my school tend to take over and I feel like I'm not ever being allowed to have a proper go at things.
    Is there any guidance on this?
    Thanks!

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I would have thought it was up to the school. Some NQTs are more capable than others. Some schools do more trips than others. Some schools have a lot of teachers happy to do trips and others don't. It's not just an NQT thing either; when you're new in a school, it's no bad thing to step back and see who does what and avoid stepping on someone's toes.
    Perhaps other teachers step in because you give the impression that you're not coping? Obviously this is not so, but perhaps you appear unsure about things without realising it? Or perhaps the staff are all established and used to running things their way in which case, you might feel that next year it would be an idea to look at moving on to a school where you could do more.

3. There is no guidance on this and schools can decide their own policy. Some will allow NQTs to take full responsibility for trips, others will not. It is at the discretion of the Head. Legally, with QTS of course you can lead a trip with no issues, but even though during the training you may have been on trips it may well be that the Head is simply providing an extra (even if it is unwanted) layer of protection.
    James

4. I ran a trip to the French battlefields for 70 year8s in my NQT year as the lead teacher. Granted I had other staff with me, but I did it all. I don't know if it was that they felt I was competent enough or that no one else could be bothered but it went without a hitch.

I'd say keep asking, saying how beneficial it will be for the kids. That was my angle, in the end it was 'well if you organise it, you can go'. I think the Head thought I wouldn't want to take it on!!

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Health and Safety considerations mean that you should be well supported by other teachers and/or adults. Having more staff there is a benefit not a burden.I would be concerned if the opposite was the case and there were supervision issues

6. Thanks everyone for the replies.
    Welshwizard, I don't think it's a burden at all: I just get the impression I'm not allowed to do anything for myself, and I think pupils pick up on that and treat me accordingly. I want to feel like a trusted, equal member of a team, not someone who always needs their hand held!