1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by terri1972, Aug 22, 2011.

1. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Hi there. I am due to start my NQT year in 2 weeks time. I haven't heard anything from the LA re induction, paperwork etc. Should I have by now?
    Thank you,
    Terri

2. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Hi there. I am due to start my NQT year in 2 weeks time. I haven't heard anything from the LA re induction, paperwork etc. Should I have by now?
    Thank you,
    Terri

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I assume the school have sent you a letter of appointment confirming your post if not chase the school for this. Contract letters and information usually take longer by law the employer has 7 weeks from appointment to send these out. In terms of the day to day work of teaching then it is your school who will provide information and advice about this. A lot depends upon what contact you have had with the school. Many schools have a new starters pack of welcome pack for new teachers. The LA may have some induction information on its website - otherwise there may be a LA handbook circulated next term. The national information about induction is on the TDA website.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you are in my LA, you won't have anything at all yet.

Your mentor in school will give you bits in September when you start.

5. I would like to echo what James has said - make sure your school have registered you as an NQT. I started at a school last September with another NQT also doing a maternity cover. We didn't find out until October that neither of us had been registered. The new head thought the mentors had done it, the mentors thought the old head or new head had done it and no one bothered to check. The system was always that the head did it, but the new head wasn't aware she needed to do it as at her previous school and LA, the mentors did it. We did ask and were told we had been registered.
    Fortunately, the LA allowed the school to register us by the dealine at the end of October. What it did mean though was that we missed out on the LA induction training. The other NQt received this in January as she stayed at the school until Easter. I moved in January as my mat cover person said they were coming back in Feb, and was too late for the NQT training offered by new LA too as they did it all in the first term.
    Ask to see the registration paperwork (you need a copy for your file). I learned this witht he benefit of hindsight and just took people at their word. It meant that for the rest of the year I chased up every piece of paperwork LOL

6. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Thanks Bobby. My mentor is going to be the same one as I had for my GTP and she is fab! Will make sure I ask for a copy of paperwork though. Thanks!