1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - NQT year - Rumour about not being able to complete the year at an Academy?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by daisyj, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Dear James,

As my PGCE is getting towards the end I have heard from a university source that in order to pass your NQT year you have to be in a state owned school.
    So if I was successful at an academy or privately run school - I wouldn't be able to pass my NQT year, is this correct?

I'm now worried about where I am applying.

Many thanks,
    Daisy

2. Hi Daisy

NQTs can do their induction year in both private and state schools and academies are state owned schools (although they are partly sponsored by people such as the Ark foundation and other companies). However, many universities don't like students to go into the private sector as the PGCE course is state funded which is why you might have heard that rumour (similar rumours went around my university). Your main problem might be when trying to move from the private sector into the state sector, ie after your induction, further down the line. It's much harder to move from private to state than vice versa as it's deemed harder to teach in a state school than in a private school, so that's something you might want to consider. However, with the current jobs shortage, I wouldn't be too fussy if I were you as the most important thing is to get a job!
    Good luck with the application process whichever way you choose to go.

3. As stated you can gain induction which is accepted in the state sector at an independent school. The school must provide the same support and timetable reducations and must agree an appropriate body - such as the local authority, though there is also the ISCTIP - independent schools's teacher induction panel. If you seek employment in the private sector do check that they can and will offer induction.
    James