1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James NQT with 1yrs Exper on MPS1 and plied with work over summmer-PAY.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lycat, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I was delighted to be offered an NQT teaching post back in June 2011. Two matters have risen since then ,the first of which is my NQT pay , this will be on spinal point 1 . I did not innitally challenge this but can I still do so, considering my one year teaching experience?
    Secondly, I have been given lots of work to do over the summer for a Year 2 post, preparing my new class, MTPs,Weekly Plans, Risk Assesments.. including a prior visit for a planned school Trip!
    Am I within my rights to still ask about whether I will be paid over the summer for the work or to start on a higher pay scale?

2. Dear James,
    I was delighted to be offered an NQT teaching post back in June 2011. Two matters have risen since then ,the first of which is my NQT pay , this will be on spinal point 1 . I did not innitally challenge this but can I still do so, considering my one year teaching experience?
    Secondly, I have been given lots of work to do over the summer for a Year 2 post, preparing my new class, MTPs,Weekly Plans, Risk Assesments.. including a prior visit for a planned school Trip!
    Am I within my rights to still ask about whether I will be paid over the summer for the work or to start on a higher pay scale?

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

You can always ask. The time to negotiate pay is at interview so I wouldn't expect much unless your one year of teaching was on MPS 1, in which case, you should point this out. As for the preparation, that's what teachers do. Some do nothing over the summer and then put in all the planning in September. It has to be done and you have the opportunity to get ahead and start with everything in place. I do less every September, but I always plan lessons for the first couple of weeks and read all the texts I'll be using (Secondary English).

4. I think the pay is fine, unless you have worked as a QT for 26 weeks (at least one full day in school in every of the 26 weeks) in previous to getting your job, in which case it should be MPS2. A year also has to elapse to move one up the scale.

5. The time to negotiate higher pay has probably passed - this needs to be done at or around the interview/job offer stage.
    There is also a subtle distinction between demanding work be done over the summer unpaid and providing you with advance notice of what needs to be done so that your start at work is as smooth as possible. If the school is demanding work that needs to be handed in for checking etc. prior to the start of your contract, then yes, it would be reasonable to expect pay. Though I suspect that they are not doing this. If it is up to you to have in place these things and when/how you complete the task (indeed where you do the work) then it could technically be done once the contract starts - though I suspect the workload would be far too intense.
    In every walk of life we do often use our 'own' time to complete things that are work related, what we must do is balance this so that we do not feel as if we simply live to work, rather than work to live.
    During my leave this summer I will be catching up on academic reading, writing drafts of papers that are part of my 'job'. I know that if I don't do this then I will struggle to manage the demands of looking after all my trainees and fulfilling what my university sees as my prime role - research and publication leading to income generation! Ultimately it is my choice as to how and when I do the reading and drafting and in truth it can be quite pleasant sitting in the garden reading without the ping of e-mail every two seconds (I must resist the urge to take out the smartphone and laptop - don't you just hate the fact that wireless is now so good it reaches the garden??)
    That said - it's pouring with rain at present so no point going into the garden!
    Try to be sensible with what you do - plan so that anything you do makes your actual job easier rather than just piling more and more work on top of your life.
    James

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you have a year of teaching experience then you won't be an NQT in September will you? If you did supply teaching through an agency it won't count towards your pay progression. If you taught for 26 weeks on MPS1 through a LA, then you can let the LA know they have made a mistake and that you should be on MPS2 now.

As for working in the summer holidays, that is what most teachers do. Yes it is easier to stomach when one is getting paid, but surely you are dead excited about your first post and WANT to do all those things don't you? I'm moving to year 2 in September for the very first time and it is sooo exciting. I might be starting my 16th year of teaching, but September can't come quickly enough and I really WANT to spend time getting my room and resources ready.

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

You do not have a year's experience as a qualified teacher, surely, since otherwise you wouldn't be an NQT. Whilst you have experience working in a school, you haven't completed induction and, as such, are still seen as a bit of a risk. Unless you've got 26 consecutive week's experience (inclusive of holidays) working as a qualified classroom teacher you have no entitlement to M2 pay. Ask if you like, but I doubt it'll get changed in September.
    Newsflash: this is what EVERY teacher has to do. Get used to working at home/outside of school hours. That's the job. And although it may not feel like it, you ARE being paid for it: your pay from September is for 1265 directed hours per year, plus "any additional hours necessary to discharge of (the teacher's) professional duties". Since preparing lesson plans etc is an essential part of the job, it's expected that you will do this prior to taking up your post.
    If you prefer, you could always do nothing during the "non-paid" months and then use the INSET days at the beginning of term to get all your prep done, since you'll officially be on the pay-role by then. Could involved a couple of VERY late nights doing it this way though.
    Alternatively, just consider all the NQTs without employment for September who would be grateful to have all this work today for the reward of a pay packet come the end of September.

(Sorry, I've been really harsh!)

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Like me! [​IMG]
    Although I can see how it might be hard if you're having to work over summer to pay bills & get it all done but it'll stand you in good stead for the year. Just buy yourself something nice with your first paycheque as a reward [​IMG] x

9. Sorry, just re-reading your post.
    If you have one year of teaching experience, I assume that this was on supply? or was it as an unqualified teacher? or on a GTP training route?
    If you were a NQT teaching for a year in a state school and you had QTS then you should have passed induction (unless it was part time work) and you would then progress to M2 (even if you hadn't completed induction yet) automatically provided you worked for a minimum of 26 seperate weeks (either full or part time) in the past year. If you gained QTS via the GTP route then you may well start on M1 even if you did a year's teaching experience.
    James

10. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

One thing which seems to be missing from your schools insistence that you work unpaid over the hols, as well as from some of the posts on this thread, is an awareness that the OP may have made other plans for the summer. To the person who was so scathing, how do you know that the OP isn't working a summer job already? The GTP in my school is planning round the clock bar and shop work this summer to pay her rent before starting her NQT year. Or they could be volunteering abroad, or any number of things. I'm all for working hard and don't like the 8.30-3.30 clock watchers, but the OP's contract hasn't started yet, so they are within their rights to do other things over the summer.
    I do think though that there are too many people who want to leap up the payscale and start on a point other than M1, and I think that the reality is that new teachers have to be prepared to start on M1 and work their way up from there.

11. GloriaSunshine

Of course. The point made was that the OP has the information s/he needs to get planning underway. If he or she would rather do this in September, that's their choice. Either way, it's unlikely that it would attract pay for August.

12. fantastischfish

They may well be. But the school has a right to expect that their new teacher turns up in September with lessons ready. There should be no need for the OP to spend ALL of the six weeks doing school work. Quite frankly, knowing that she would be taking up a teaching role in September and knowing that it's essential to ensure lessons are planned in time (and all we're talking about is the first week of lessons here) it might be wise to ensure she was free during one or two weeks of the holidays to get this work done.
    Everyone is within their rights to do other things. I don't believe anyone suggested your should spend every minute of the summer working. However, it's perfectly reasonable to expect the OP to enter the school in September fully prepared. Not to mention that fact that it is in an NQT's interests to get as ahead as possible. Alternatively, the OP could wait until September to do any planning, but they will no doubt be back here in October complaing about workload and the backlog of planning etc.

13. I agree Eva.
    If it was me, I would love the challenge and I would be hungry for it. Doing the first weeks planning should be the number one priority over summer and when it is done at least you know what you will be doing and also feel at ease to enjoy summer.
    It should be thought of as a lesson in planning. Failing to plan is planning to fail, ring a bell? The school is well in its' right to request this be done, especially in Literacy, Numeracy and Science. Don't complain just DO IT and do it well.

14. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

Its up to her whether she plans during the summer or when she starts. However, she also mentioned that she had to do risk assessments in the summer. I don't think the school can insist that this is done. In no other job would the employer expect the employee to start work before the contract begins. Teaching is an important job, but so are others such as medicine. A doctor wouldn't be expected to work for free before the contract starts. Doing her own personal planning because SHE chooses to is different to doing things because she has been ordered to!

15. fantastischfish

Depends what the risk assessment is for. Equally, has the school INSISTED that this work is done during the holidays, OR have they simply shown her what needs doing and what protocol is with a view to her being in the know in time for September?

16. GloriaSunshine

The latter, I suspect, Eva.