1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear James NQT Wait and appeal or not?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ggina, Jun 14, 2015.

  1. .

    Are there any success stories for appealing at the end of NQT?

    As most threads I have read regarding illness, work, lack of support etc this is where I find myself. Plus the transferring over to Academy status too. I have had a very difficult class with regards individual needs, attachment disorder, speech therapy, global develop delay and worked to the point of my own health suffering and being blamed for not managingwhen I have asked for help for the children. Cause for concern filed, my confidence gone and scared to go back to work, feeling stupid for some reason. I have about 8 weeks left once I return to work. Really wanting to move on or. should I be ready with evidence against standards to appeal.

    I am speaking to Union on going and they along with my doctor advise against rash decision. I am waiting for Union to get back to me re HR meeting (I am still signed off -unfit for work). This is my 3rd week of 6 and can't muster up energy or enthusiasm for much at all. Staring into space is about as exciting as it gets I'm embarrassed to say.

    My class is year1 now of 29 children and will be ks2 from September of 15 children (still with some issues). Really struggling to see a way forward as I feel the support put in place is just a tick box to say I have had it and not made it through.

    I have worked at my school for over 4 years from HLTA to trainee Teacher to NQT. Any advice, experience for consideration greatly received.

    I know I have a lot to learn still and need a positive way forward for myself!


    appeal appeals NQT support

    13-6-2015[/URL] 11:00


  2. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    Is 8 weeks enough to turn things round? It sounds unlikely, in this school, and what you don't want to do is to get to the end of those 8 weeks and find you have failed your induction year. A fail means that you are barred from ever teaching in the state sector. You could appeal, of course, but if the appeal were to fail... there's too much at stake.

    I think you should be negotiating early release from your contract. It's true that you don't want to be making any rash decisions, but at this stage unless you're sure you can turn things around, it would be more rash (IMO) not to leave. Your union will support you to seek early release. You will then be able to finish induction in a different school (you will have one term left to complete).
  3. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    If you have been absent for over 30 days then there induction has to be automatically extended due to this. This extension can be portable and carried into another school.

    If you are not meeting standards and are being judged at risk of failing induction then there needs to be a clear process to help plan how you can improve.

    Ultimately you need to ask yourself whether you really are going to be able to make the necessary improvements in this environment.

    You need to discuss these options carefully with your union also seek advice from the named person for induction in the LA
  4. Thank you for the posts. So does that mean there are no experiences of appeal out there.

    Like so many others I am in the hands of others. As I have already done what has been asked of me so far (as stated to me) but not down in writing then I see what you say about the environment not being right for me now.

    A lot to think about.

    Thank you again.
  5. John_in_Luton

    John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

    I agree with Kartoshka. Rather than having a fail and appeal on your record, whatever the outcome might be, negotiate an early release from the contract.
  6. From the number of days absence you would need to complete these. An appeal can only take place once a fail has been confirmed. It can, as has been indicated be better to resign and get a fresh start but do get your union to negotiate your leaving conditions and an agreed reference. Take their advice before you take any firm decisions.

  7. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    To add to James's advice there are 2 sorts of extension to an induction

    One is automatic when the 30 days absence is exceeded and the full induction time needs to be served

    The other is after an induction failure to meet standards- these can be appealed to the NCTL if you believe there have been weaknesses with your induction
  8. Thank you for the post.
  9. Hello,

    I have spoke to LA in confidence and was excellent with me. I felt the time was given to talk and listen to me and treat me like an adult human. Going back to work sooner as long as doctor agrees and feel much better about process of induction and way forward. Rather than feeling into shamed I am failing the LA explained that all steps are for positive outcomes and designed to help get through and keep teachers not the opposite.

    Definitely a good move and worth doing.

    Thank you for advice and support.
  10. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Good luck glad there was a positive outcome
  11. Glad this is working out positively.


Share This Page