1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - NQT status from abroad

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Samwise101, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hello James,

I finished my PGCE last year and immediately accepted a job in Hong Kong as a chance to see the world, teach in a new place etc, etc.

One thing though that I have never been able to find out properly is my NQT status - I know I have to complete this within 5 years of qualifying but can this be done outside the UK?

I have heard something about being classed as an overseas teacher with experience if I stay away for longer than 5 years but is this true? If I do decide to come back will my experience be ignored as it is outside the UK and mean I have to start back at a NQT level of salary? Or can my current school provide notifications of observations that will fulfil the NQT criteria?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

2. The rule on statutory induction is clearly laid down.
    There is no requirement to complete your induction within any timescale. The only restriction is on short-term supply, which currently limits you to 16 months.
    There is only very limited scope for doing induction outside of UK: Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar and at SEC (British military) schools in Germany and Cyprus. You cannot serve induction anywhere else, even if they follow British curriculum. So on your return to UK, if you want to teach in state schools, you'll have to pass induction. None of your overseas experience can be produced to meet induction standards - it will all have to be done during your NQT year back in UK.
    There is no category called overseas teacher with experience. There is one for overseas trained teacher, but you did yours in UK and hold QTS.
    It's up to the school concerned (with the advice of local authority where appropriate) whether to reward you for overseas teaching experience. While there is no harm in asking, tendency nowadays is to only start you on higher pay point if they have to, given the level of competition for jobs. And remember, as NQT, the school has to give you reduced timetable, mentor support and chance to attend external training courses which all costs money.

3. Just want to add that in view of what I've said, while it's too late for you, it's always a good idea to complete your induction at least in UK before working overseas. Then on your return you can take up any senior position commensurate with your experience, and the school is more than likely to reward you for teaching experience gained.
    BTW, it should read SCE (Service Children's Education) schools.

4. Thanks for your quick and detailed reply clearing that up.

So to sum up, I have to come back to the UK to do my NQT year and anything I do outside the UK might potentially be taken into account by schools in order to avoid giving me a reduced timetable and arranging a mentor for me - but that it is unlikely.

Is NQT necessary in order to move into senior positions? Whilst I acknowledge the need for it generally surely there must be senior teachers who do not have this?

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Yes completion of induction is important and it is statutory in the maintained sector. All experienced teachers are required to be fully qualified and experienced in teaching- I am sure there are some who have slipped through the net in the past but with the GTCE registration and increased staffing checks as result safer Recruitment and Ofsted- there are fewer avoiding induction in recent years. Most teaching application forms now ask if you have served a statutory induction. Your first 3 terms of teaching in the UK must allow you to complete induction. In addition there is a cost element to it as schools have to provide training, support and release for NQTs so this can limit the openings for induction posts and make it very expensive the further up the pay scale you go.

6. As I think you have gathered, there is no 5 year rule and if you return to the \uk without having completed induction you will need to complete this by taking full (or part time) posts in schools that are a minimum of one term in length. If you apply to the private sector for a,post there is no requirement to complete induction though private schoools can offer induction.
    Your experience can be taken into consideration for appointment above the minimum M1 level for NQTs but schools do not have to award incrememnts for experience outside the UK state system.
    Regardless of what you are paid and, even if you have a management post, they must still provide you with a mentor and a reduced timetable (a reduction above and beyond what you may get as an experienced teacher in a managerial post) as per their legal obligation as set out in the NQT statutory guidnance - so it is importnat when negotiating a job that this is cleraly understood and accounted for by the school. For example they could not/should not call an allowance normally given to a head of departmemt your 'NQT' time. They would have to provide you with PPA time, NQT time AND a reduction for being a HOD.
    James