1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: NQT starting in September - what happens now?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lilykitty, Apr 27, 2011.

1. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Congratulations on getting your first teaching job!
    You sound so enthusiastic and can't wait to get going, as well as maybe a bit anxious about everything you need to find out!
    I wouldn't contact the school yet, but I would advise you to start writing down the questions you have. When I started my new school I had nearly 2 pages! Leave space under each question so you can write down what you are told when you are back in school; if you are anything like me you will get a bit of information overload and forget half of what you have found out.
    Although <u>you</u> are now focused on September, don't forget the rest of the school aren't. They will be thinking about SATs and probably optional QCA assessments, then writing reports, both of which are huge and very draining. You have to walk a bit of a tightrope between trying to find out the things you need to know and not becoming irritating! (Please don't take this the wrong way - I was so eager I think I drove a few teachers mad when they were still trying to deal with their current class and all I could think about was the next academic year.)
    I would try and hold on until the end of June before contacting the school. In the meantime, spending time in any reception or nursery class would be really useful. If your course has finished you could volunteer to help out at a local school in these classes to collect as many ideas as you can. You could also see if there are any FS leading teachers in your area who you could observe.
    Your enthusiasm is going to help you to be a great teacher in September. Good luck!

2. Thanks for the advice! Really helpful.
    It's good to be reminded about the what the school will be focusing on at the moment - as you say I'm just focusing on what I need to be doing ready for September!
    I will definitely look into spending time in local reception classes - do you think that I will, at some point, still be asked in to spend some time in the school's reception though?
    Also (and I'm sure the school will tell me this at some point!) but, when does team planning usually take place ready for a new term? Woud you expect them to ask me in at the end of the summer term to meet other teachers and to go through planning etc or to go in at the end of the summer holiday..? Sorry so many questions again!

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I think there will definitely be opportunities for you to spend time in both the nursery and the reception class. The school usually only mention coming in for one day (the induction day) because that's all they can reasonably ask for (especially if they are taking on someone who is already teaching or doing some supply). That doesn't mean that they won't welcome you spending more time there, as they'll be keen to get to know you too.
    As far as planning is concerned, they will discuss this with you at the induction, or (even if it's just a general chat) at the end of the summer term. I went in on the first day of the summer holiday to discuss planning at my new school (although don't forget they will be exhausted!). It's totally acceptable to expect to have clear guidance on your first term's planning (at least) before the holiday. The school will obviously be open towards the end of the holiday, but then you (and the other teachers) will want to focus on your classrooms.
    Having a look at the school website might help you see what topics they usually cover in reception, and any trips they have been on in the past. The holidays are a good time to check out places for school trips, but make sure you remember to tell the venue that you are a teacher doing a pre-trip visit to see if it is suitable (they often let you in for free!).