1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James- NQT job applications

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mobile2, May 2, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I hope you are fine. I am a PGCE student and I am about to complete my course in the next few months. I would like to know whether it is suitable or would you advise NQT's to apply for jobs in newly opened free schools (for their first teaching post)?
    Will they get the support needed?
    I look forward to your reply,
    Thanks

2. Dear James,
    I hope you are fine. I am a PGCE student and I am about to complete my course in the next few months. I would like to know whether it is suitable or would you advise NQT's to apply for jobs in newly opened free schools (for their first teaching post)?
    Will they get the support needed?
    I look forward to your reply,
    Thanks

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Now that's a question on which we can all speculate, but none of us can actually give a realistic answer.
    I wouldn't advise it, personally.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to check exactly what they are offering as they are not maintained by the LA they do not have to offer induction and are also not part of school teachers pay & conditions. i belive some will but do eventuallu, but check they are linked with an appropriate body as they cannot offer statutory induction without this formal link.

5. As stated above, free schools are an unknown at present. They are outside of the state maintained sector and, as such are similar to private schools.
    There is no requirement for them to offer induction and they do not have to abide by the school teachers pay and conditions document (STPAC) which means that your employment contract is set by them and agreed by you so do read it carefully iof you decide to go for a job. There is, at present, no reuqirement for them to employ qualified teachers and I doubt that their pension arrangements will be anything like the current teachers pension scheme (probably not as good as a modifed scheme that offers a career average pension).
    I would advise any NQT to ask questions about pay and conditions, [pension arrangements, teaching load and induction possibilities. If you agree to a post, carefully read and check the contract and make sure you are happy with the contract before you sign.
    James

6. Things have moved on a bit now. Any school that is looking for high quality teachers will invest in training and that should include appropriate training for NQT's. Whilst Free schools do not have to abide by STPAC teachers are unlikely to work without the same pension arrangements as maintained schools or without fair work hours and pay.
    I can't speak for all free schools so I would agree wwith James, check the details carefully, apply and if you are interviewed ask for clarification.