1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James NQT for September

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by talhut, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Hello James,

I will be starting my induction year in September, a couple of weeks away now and I am trying to be proactive but seem to end up going in circles.

Where do I start? Literally feeling like I should be planning and mapping and getting my planning for the new term ready but am not sure where to start or what I need to be planning. I have my topics and the school have bought into a curriculum planning which is okay but needs working on to ensure I can fit everything in. I've done my 'class resources' making as in displays and labels but cannot seem to find a starting point for my planning. Sorry to ramble and sound unclear, I did supply teaching for a year and feel my training was a long time ago for setting me up for teaching!

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would start off with a long term plan. You've got your topics for the year, which will help you to organise some of the year's objectives (eg. if you're starting the year with "All About Me" that will be a good place to cover some human biology objectives). Then you might find, for example, that you've got loads of history objectives left over, so you might plan to do a block of separate history lessons, or a separate history lesson every two weeks throughout the year.

Once your long term plan is done, you can focus on a more detailed plan for the first term. Have a think about what resources you will need for each subject, so that you have plenty of time to find out if the school has them or, if necessary, make arrangements to buy or source them from elsewhere.

3. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

If your school has long term planning in place, then it's just your day to day planning to do from that and you can't do that too far ahead yet. I've been a teacher for donkeys years and I never start planning properly until I'm in, I've met the kids etc.... The creative planning juices don't start flowing until I'm actually back at work. Relax, enjoy the last few weeks of your holidays, planning will happen soon enough!!!

4. mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins New commenter

I'm not an experienced teacher but I haven't done lots of planning this year as last time I planned loads and loads and it was a total waste of time :) instead, I would focus on reading policies, getting your "everyday" scaffolds in place (eg success criteria communications for the children) and maybe look at some trips and/or visits?

5. Thank you to all three of you, you've stopped me feeling guilty about spending time for myself this week!!