1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James...NQT been take out of class after first term

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by swones, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Dear James...
    I have just completed the first term as an NQT in a challenging Year 5/6 class. I have had some issues with behaviour management, mainly getting the class to listen. I have many children with different needs including some SEN and one child with ADHD. I don't feel that I have had much support in dealing with these children and only have a TA for an hour and a half each day.
    My first observation went fine but I feel that the behaviour gets worse when I am on my own with them as they do not have enough respect for me. My headteacher has now made the descision to take me out of class as she has had a couple of parental complaints and is concerned about the effect the behaviour is having on learning. She mentioned that I need to work on my presence within the classroom. I have been told that after half-term I will be carrying out PPA cover with the other classes within school as well as spending some time with my mentor in her class.
    I am feeling really dissapointed as I felt that I was getting somewhere with the class and don't feel it is fair. Although there is some relief as the behaviour was getting me down and I was dredding going to school each morning. I think that it may be a good way to spend my NQT year as I will get more support and be able to develop my confidence and classroom presence within diffferent year groups instead of struggling along with the other class alone.
    I have mixed feelings about the situation and just want some reassurance that this is the right thing to do. Can the headteacher make this decision all of a sudden or do I have some say in it? I just feel really put down and embarrased that other people might think I can't control a class. My mentor is really nice and she doesn't understand why the head has made the descision.
    Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

<u>Are you with a union? if so contact them ASAP and explain the sitaition.</u>
    If u r a NQT and u have been taken out of the class, how and when will you complete the NQT year? As you mention that next term you r doing PPA cover.
    Maybe over the half term devise some questions to ask your head, just so you are clear about the sitaution too - or where the head is coming from. Not sure why they have taken you out, seems a bit drastic to me... Surely there should be a discussion with you, so head can explain their reasons and hear what you have to say.
    Maybe there decison has been to support you and then let you back in your class ??? i would question when you will be able to complete the NQT year. But your union should advise you.
    Hope it all works out for you.

3. I have been told that I will be able to complete the NQT year through PPA cover. Also, after that she has said that I will be teaching a year 3/4 class for a whole term. I had a brief discussion with the head and my mentor just explaining that they have chosen to support me that way. Although I agree it does seem drastic but maybe that is how they will support and maybe I will go back to Y5/6 at the end of the year?
    Thanks for your advice.

4. Hoping2012

Hoping2012 New commenter

it seems starnge that you were placed in a year 5/6 class and then being moved to a year3/4 class - maybe they are doing this so you get through the NQT year.

Ask your union about doing a part of the NQT year through PPA - as this would mean you have lots of different classes and you would onlu be with them or 1/2 hours a week, not consistent for your profesional development.
    contact your union ASAP

5. How do you think secondary teachers cope?
    As far as I'm aware, there would be no issue with working on a cover basis although I can't be sure so do check this.
    I'm afraid I have no particular advice but it does sound like your headteacher is actually being supportive and making arrangements for you to complete induction successfully.
    I'm sure someone will come along soon with some decent advice for you. Best of luck.

6. Thanks for your support. I will check with the union on this. The staff do seem supportive within the school and im sure the decision has been made for the best considering that the class is particuarly challenging. It has made me think about what I was doing wrong and knocked my confidence a bit though. I suppose sometimes you have to take a couple of steps back to go forward!

7. You should get in touch with the named contact at your local authority for your induction and discuss the situation as a matter of priority. There are strict rules about what kind of context enables you to meet induction (core) standards, and being a PPA cover usually doesn't, as it may not give you sustained and regular contact with the same group of pupils. So you need to look into your situation, and your LA as appropriate body must be satisfied that your teaching role does enable you to meet the induction regulations. If, as you say, you are just swapping one year group with another and you are teaching the same group regularly, it may be ok but do get confirmation.
    You should not have been removed from your class just like that, unless there was a serious threat to pupil welfare or child safety and instant action had to be taken. You should have been fully involved with any decision that was subsequently taken and given chance to respond - after all you are a qualified teacher and are entitled to be treated professionally. At least there should be a better communication between you and your mentor, so do raise this matter with the LA and union rep as well.There is usually an induction expert at the union who can advise about your right.