1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James..... nqt and ofsted

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by wemble, Jan 28, 2011.

1. I am a secondary school design and technology teacher and my school is convinced that we will be getting a visit from Ofsted soon.
    I am only an NQT in my second term of teaching but because I have been graded 'outstanding' in my NQT observations, the heads have made it clear that if and when Ofsted visit they will try to push them my way.
    My question is... as an NQT can I be observed by Ofsted? I was under the impression that we were except from their observations.

2. I am a secondary school design and technology teacher and my school is convinced that we will be getting a visit from Ofsted soon.
    I am only an NQT in my second term of teaching but because I have been graded 'outstanding' in my NQT observations, the heads have made it clear that if and when Ofsted visit they will try to push them my way.
    My question is... as an NQT can I be observed by Ofsted? I was under the impression that we were except from their observations.

3. There are no exemptions if you are an NQT.
    You are teaching in the school just like everyone else and can be observed by Ofsted.

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Exempt? That would be lucky.

I am a NQT and I had a department specific observation in November. As I am the only person in my department it was quite stressful. However, the inspector did note that I was a NQT and said that what was expected of me as a NQT is a little different as it will as an experienced teacher. As a result I have already been observed 5 times and have an LA visit next week so that will be 6 times in total by Feb half term!!!

You will be fine, if you can produce outstanding lessons for school observations you can for ofsted.

5. Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about it if it does happen - well not any more than it is normal to worry - just curious as to the 'rules' for NQTs.
    Thanks

6. OFSTED have the option of seeing anyone -0 there is no exemption for NQTs or even trainee teachers. You should consider it a compliment that the management thinbk that highly of your teaching. In practice they will find it difficult to steer OFSTED as they will have their own agenda and their own ideas wbout what they will focus on according to the self eval,uation provided by the school.
    James

7. <font size="2">I&rsquo;m NQT, and had a tough GTP, I passed with satisfactory. </font><font size="2">within my second term we were ofsteded and I was observed, I made no mention of being NQT because I consider myself "part of the team". And it should make no difference to the students in my class if they were lucky enough to be timetabled with the department&rsquo;s AST or me.</font><font size="2">I was graded Good which made my year after last the hell of last year. </font><font size="2">take it as a challenge, my tactic was to choose a format that i knew would work and deploy it across every lesson over the 2 days. </font><font size="2">their focus this year seemed to be progression both in the lesson observed and evidenced in books. do the students know their levels and more importantly do they know what they must do to get to the next level. so peer and self assessed AFL won me favour.</font>
    Alex

8. Thanks for your replies. I don't know why I thought NQTs were exempt but glad that I know now that this is not true.
    My original post seems to come across as though I am moaning about the possibility of being observed. I'm not! I think it will be a good experience for me to have this so early on in my teaching. And, yes, I am flattered that my school think so highly of my teaching!
    Alex, thanks for your obs tips.