1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, no NQT time because of inset day

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by psychstudent, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Dear James,

I started my NQT year in January and I have been told that I cannot have my NQT time next week as I attended an inset day today along with all other members of staff at the school. I was wondering if inset days count as use of NQT time? I know that outside courses count as NQT time but was unsure about inset days.

Thanks

2. Dear James,

I started my NQT year in January and I have been told that I cannot have my NQT time next week as I attended an inset day today along with all other members of staff at the school. I was wondering if inset days count as use of NQT time? I know that outside courses count as NQT time but was unsure about inset days.

Thanks

3. Obviously I'm not James and may be wrong but I would say that would be very acceptable for the school to count that time as NQT time. NQT time is time dedicated towards meeting the standards (did the inset do this?), not just additional PPA time.

4. I think the same as Devon ... but puzzled how your NQT time is arranged ... if you cannot have it (sic) - what does that look like in practice - are you teaching (who??), covering, possibly covering

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, the school can count it as your NQT time.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Although I agree that a school CAN use your NQT time for 2 weeks for a one day INSET, I think it would be a little harsh to do so.

The NQT I mentor has a few half day courses booked and the head suggested saying that those were to be NQT time. I had no problem with that at all, totally agree. But when we looked at a full day course, it still will only be one week's NQT time and then a half day on a course. We did discuss using 2 weeks of NQT time but decided that wouldn't really be fair, although completely possible to do so.

Think you are just unlucky, but you won't make friends by making a fuss about it.

7. Hi
    If the INSET could contribute towards you achieving the induction standards then yes the school canb count this as part of your induction time - since that time is for your development towards meeting the standards. If you have regular timetabled time I assume that the school will ask you to do something else in that slot e.g. cover? Again they could do this - it is a moot point about then about rarely cover.
    In the long run you had induction related training and that's what induction time is for. The fact that others may have attended the training as well - under the guise of continuing professional development is irrelevant. I would say that it is not normal for INSET days to be counted as induction time. If they do this on a regular basis i.e. count all INSET days as induction time then that would be unfair. So the question is how specific was this to your induction development. If it wasn't then you have a case to argus that it should not count. If you wish to go down this route then do seek specific helkp and advice from your union and ask them to advise on whether or not this should be a case to be pushed.
    James
    James