1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James... No mentor

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by 07158422, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Hi,

I had a mentor and now because of their personal circumstances I am 'someone else's problem.' I have spoken to my headteacher and they didn't help in saying who my mentor will be. I'm currently trying to do reports etc and I feel that I need someone at school to speak to about what is going on. My mentor hasn't stopped being my mentor because of me but due to other things but it has still made me feel rubbish. No-one is telling me what is going on. I don't know what to do. I will finish my NQT at some point next year as I started late.

Billy

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to discuss these problems with the Appropriate Body- this is usually the LA and there will be a Named Person who has responsibility for the quality of induction programmes.

3. Thanks welshwizard. It has only been a couple of days so I will leave it until Monday and if nothing is sorted by then I will speak to them.

4. The school is legally obliged to provide you with a mentor who is also a qualified teacher. It is the case that sometimes people are given too much to do and relieving them from being a mentor is one way of redressing the balance, not your fault at all. But the head must have another mentor in place. You can also contact the LA, as suggested, but given that your induction will run into the next academic year you should have this sorted ASAP.

James