1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, New qualification guidance...?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon261, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    There seems to be a lot going around at the minute that the new government are calling for all teachers to have a 2.1 degree or above. Does this mean that if I don't get a permanent job soon, that I will be written out of the teaching career given my 2.2?
    My thoughts are that you will need a 2.1 to get onto ITT but I just thought i'd check to see what the protocol would be. I'm sure there are plenty of NQT's who are in the same position as me!

Many thanks

2. Hi there,
    There seems to be a lot going around at the minute that the new government are calling for all teachers to have a 2.1 degree or above. Does this mean that if I don't get a permanent job soon, that I will be written out of the teaching career given my 2.2?
    My thoughts are that you will need a 2.1 to get onto ITT but I just thought i'd check to see what the protocol would be. I'm sure there are plenty of NQT's who are in the same position as me!

Many thanks

3. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I would imagine you will be fine to be honest, you have done your training and proved yourself through that.

There probably are schools out there who will want the best academic results ever from their staff but that doesn't make them a better teacher.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, it took me a year after my PGCE to get this post and I worried because my degree is a different subject to my teaching subject. However I still got a job.

You can't go back in time and change your degree results so worrying about it will be fruitless. It's like the EBacc. I wouldn't have gotten it because of my geography result but I doubt it will hold me back in the future not having a qualification that wasn't required at the time.

4. There is still some uncertainty about what the new government will do in ITT for the future. They have pledged to raise the entry level to a PGCE to a 2:2 degree minimum, not a 2:1. That said it only applies to future entrants and should not impact on those already in the system or those who are teaching and have less than a 2:2 degree. Even then, the governemnt is saying 2:2 for recent graduates and not all graduates, but as yet we have no idea about how they are interpreting 'recent' - that is 1 year 2 years 5 years?
    So someone who graduated say 10 years ago with a 3rd may be fine provided they can show relevant work exoperience or perhaps study at a higher level.
    If you have QTS then you should not be 'written out', a 2:2 is fine.
    James