1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James; Medical Report requirements

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Janna5, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I have filled a Medical Form that I'm about to submit to the Uni, they also ask medical records from the GP (although it says I can choose not to), some former students I know told me that they decided not to give them for whatever reason.
    I don't have any health problems and if I can avoid paying my GP for a Medical report almost empty I'm happy to do it (I haven't even started and I already have to pay so many fees [​IMG])
    My question is : Is it going to affect my application in any way?

Thank you

2. Hi
    The medical questionnaire is necessary to assess fitness to teach. It is looked at by occupational hgealth and not the university tutors. The option for GP contact is only normally used if you disclose a condition and the occupational healkth adviser thinks it may have a bearing on your fitness to teach or if they feel that adjustments need to be made to allow you to undertake the course.
    You must disclose any conditions that you may have so that an assessment can be made./ If you do not and then during the course encounter difficulties and try to gain mitigating circumstances due to your condition or, if you are failing and wish rto claim that a conditoon is preventing you from passing or that the university has discriminated against you then you will not be able to do that if you have not disclosed any pertinent facts.
    Occupational health will consult with you about anything you disclose and they will only pass on information that is necessary to enable a provider to help you complete the course.
    James
    p.s. sorry that I didn't reply earlier - had a weekend away on business and visiting family.