1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - limit on finishing NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by vikkibolton, May 4, 2011.

1. Dear James,
    I started my NQT year in Sep but as I was part time I will only have completed 2 terms by the end of this school year.
    Now I have started my NQT do I have a limit on how long I have to finish it? I am maternity cover and I am struggling to find a job for sep.

Many Thanks

Vikki

2. Dear James,
    I started my NQT year in Sep but as I was part time I will only have completed 2 terms by the end of this school year.
    Now I have started my NQT do I have a limit on how long I have to finish it? I am maternity cover and I am struggling to find a job for sep.

Many Thanks

Vikki

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is no time limit. Take as long as you like or as long as it takes!
    There used to be an 'expectation' that NQTs would complete Induction within 5 years of starting Induction. That expectation was abolished as of 1st Sept 2007.
    The only limit now is a 16 month supply limit, which should really be called a 16 month non-Induction supply limit. Your supply allowance hasn't even started yet as you have been on Induction since you got QTS.
    If you can't get an Induction post from September, yoiu can take shorter term supply work (anything under a term's length) and that will start your supply clock counting down. Exactly 16 months after that first teaching day that is not part of Induction, your supply allowance expires.
    If you don't then have Induction work lined up, apply slightly in advance of the expiration for an extension. You apply to every LA where you might want to take short-term supply teaching. They can offer anything from zero to 12 extra months for taking non-Induction supply in their schools if you can't get Induction work.
    After all allowances are expired, you cannot be employed as a teacher inthe State 5-16 sector unless it allows you to continue or complete Induction.
    You can work i n the Private sector or in the State Post 16 sector or do something else, or be unemplioyed on JSA, until you can complete Induction.