1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - leaving early with no early release agreement?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by thegothmother, Mar 19, 2011.

1. I was told by both my NQT coordinator and my head that if I was judged in my second term to be "unlikely to meet the standards" etc that in prcatice I would have to leave as if I were to continue and not improve, then I would fail my NQT year and that would be it. I'm not sure how you think you can avoid the 3rd term assessment by leaving one day early - in my LA, the second term assessments (Spring term) have already been completed well before the end of term.

2. the deadline for the assessment is not until the final day of term.

3. goatherd

goatherd New commenter

Do you not have to sign the assessment for it to count - was told that the first term had to be signed by all three parties for it to be accepted.
    If you do not sign it on the basis that it is incorrect, what is the position with regard to failing?

4. I think I can understand your situation. I have just left my school two weeks before the 2nd term assessment - not due to not passing but issues with the school.
    Please be aware that time served is time served. e.g. I have 1 term and 2 weeks to make up. If you left one day early in theory you have one day to pass NQT somewhere else (although I'm told that if the new school think you are making progress THEY can apply for an extension although this is they're call.)
    If you are worried about failing or simply unhappy at your school they I would advise you to leave ASAP to have as much time as poss at a new school.
    My head agreed to early release as I was extremely stressed but it is down to the heads discretion. Although LEA and union can support you and may be able to push this for you.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'm afraid this is wrong. Terms have to be completed in full. A half term etc at a school does not count.
    However your NQT can be reduced by 29? days if needed by the LA - for illness or other reasons but that is it. xx

6. This is correct if you leave earlier than a whole term, you have an interim assessment as I did. This is also graded as a pass or fail. The LEA have confirmed that I have 1 term and 3 weeks to do. As I've left 3 weeks before Easter. The guidance is on Teachernet. http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/professionaldevelopment/induction/guidance/
    I was under the impression that only whole terms count having read lots of info on here; however this was not the case when I spoke to union and LEA.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Hmm so if I did a full year but my final term wasn't submitted then how would that work?

8. OK - Now I really am confused!
    Thanks for flagging up this issue as I had no idea - I'd been told that if I left before the assessment then I'd have that full term to do again.
    I read those guidelines on teachernet - it's still not very clear...I didn't know about these interim assessments before, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the guidelines which says specifically whether you just make up the days in a new school, or whether you do a whole term...I really need to speak again to my union rep and LA contact I think.

9. Snap :(
    Things seem even less clear now.
    Will talk to union rep tomorrow and County

10. Me too...let's compare notes later!

11. After talking to both the Union and County, so long as the head agrees to release you early from contract, both the date the assessment is due, then there is no assessment for that term.
    Thus if I get my early release at the end of next week (am seeing the head tomorrow), I will still have two complete terms to pass.
    Both County and Union said that it is usually better going into a new school with two terms left to do, than with only 1 after having had 2 as insufficient progress. There is more time to learn the school policies and establish relationships with the pupils.
    Hopefully next school will not give me a timetable of 20+ classes and 600+ pupils over the fortnight :)
    Sadly though, I will be leaving with no job to go to :(

12. I just wanted to say that my husband was in a similar position in his NQT year last year. He did get early release, and left one day before the term ended in July as they would have failed him otherwise. He has subsequently spent 8 months on supply (had such a bad experience that he declared he was leaving teaching all together, but has now changed his mind), and has just got a maternity cover post in a lovely school where they're going to finish his induction.

He has to do a full term to finish his induction, but in this school it doesn't look like meeting all of the standards will be a problem - the particular school makes a big difference.

Also, he's not having any problems getting interviews for jobs (thanks to Theo's advice on the jobseekers forums) so don't worry about not being able to get anything after leaving.

13. Knittingirl - thank you! Just the kind of thing we need to hear! [​IMG]
    Irish - same story here - I spoke to my union rep (who had spoken to the LA man as well) who said that interim assessments are just for my own information, and I'd have a full term in a new school to complete induction even if I only left a couple of days before the end.