1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James .... job suitable for a NQT ...

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TTPrimary, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Dear James
    I am one of many unemployed NQT's and thought I had fallen lucky with a recent job advertisment. The location of the job is ideal and even the job description has given provided me with hope of gaining experience in the classroom as well as beginning my induction year if I was successful, however following a school visit the role as changed which leaves me questionning whether I would be able to begin my NQT induction.
    The initial job was advertised as being a full-time class teacher for two terms. The job role is now for 0.6 for two terms initially with thepossibility of becoming permanent in September depending of student numbers. The role would require the successful applicant to support across KS1 and work with either whole classes, booster groups etc all at the descretion of the original class teacher.
    The post is still for a teacher and the school seem optimistic to support a NQT through the initial stages of the induction however I am unsure how practical this would be? It is clear this isn't an ideal situation however the prospects of working at the school really appeal to me and also I think there will be less competition for this post than other posts in schools.
    Any advice you can give me would really help.
    Thank you

2. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

I don't know the legality of NQT year yet as I've only just started training so I can't answer that side of it, but for me personally even if it were only for 2 terms and even if it didn't count towards my NQT induction I think I would jump at the opportunity as it sounds like a good variety of different teaching strategies/year groups etc and in terms of personal development and CV enhancement I think it sounds great. It also sounds tough, but I like to push and challenge myself!
    If it's a good school that ordinarily you would love to get a job in then surely it's better to be getting the experience (and let's face it getting paid) than potentially wait until September 2012 for a job to appear.

3. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

The experience will be valuable. In terms of the NQT year, you can do it on a part-time basis so at 0.6 for two terms you'd complete a term and a bit of your NQT year which you could carry with you to another school if there wasn't a permanent post going in this one. The issue might be around the role, which is not ideal for an NQT. Contact the NQT induction co-ordinator in the Local Authority for guidance on this.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are many teachers following a part time induction being part time in itself is not the issue but the school needs to ensure that the rest of the release time is pro rata. In addition you need access to the mentoring, assessment and training needed to support induction.

5. Hi
    On the strength of what you write the job seems Ok for induction, but it is the LA who will tell the school, if the post is suitable or not, they have the final say.
    Induction can be done part time (technically one day per week over 5 years could qualify for induction - though I have yet to know of anyone who has or is doing it this way). A 0.6 post would be fairly common. You must, as noted above, have all the reductions a full teacher is entitled to, but pro rata, and you must also have the same support that other NQTs have.
    James