1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James- job restrictions?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by cupofteacher, Mar 8, 2011.

1. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

Are there any roles which are restricted and NQTs unable to do? For example a job with a TLR for second in department, or any additional responsibilities? Would this also be the same within the independent sector?

Thanks

2. cupofteacher

Are there any roles which are restricted and NQTs unable to do? For example a job with a TLR for second in department, or any additional responsibilities? Would this also be the same within the independent sector?

Thanks

3. Hey there,
    I am an NQT this year and i am currently Head of Department in an A level subject. It has been very difficult as a new teacher. However, i do not know any better and it looks fantastic for my CV.
    I think you need to weigh up how much support you will be provided with during your NQT year as its not worth risking if you can help it. you only get one shot.
    I have just been one of the lucky ones..
    Plus NQTs are cheap and are willing to work extra hard to impress.
    My advice, if its a dream job etc, nothing to lose by at least applying.

Rachel

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Nothing prevents an NQT from taking on a TLR in the state sector. However you need to be sure that it would not impact adversely upon your induction which still has to be served. Some schools do not consider NQTs for these posts because of having to provide an induction including the time release. The key restriction for NQTs is for working in PRU's and for PPA cover which is unable to provide the full scope of teaching needed for an induction.

5. The wizrd has summed it up - there is nothing to stop you taking a TLR post, but if you are having difficulty in your induction year you cannot use the fact that you are under extra pressure as a mitigating circumstance.
    My advice is to avoid extra responsibility until induction is passed. In addition, most TLR poasts will have some non-cointact time allocated and I am aware of one or two schools who have given a responsibility post but refuswed the extra time allowance on the basis that as a NQT you get PPA and NQT time as well and any extra time would reduce the timetable too much. That is not on PPA is PPOA and NQT time is NQT time - if you do take on extra responsibility trhat needs a time allowance as well - it should not come from the PPA and/or NQT time.
    James

6. cupofteacher

Thank you to everyone who replied, really appreciate it.