1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, Job Advice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by evilpixie, Jun 29, 2011.

1. James,
    I've just completed my PGCE in secondary ICT. I've had 5 interviews and come 2nd 3 times (lost out to experience) and was told on another that no one was employed that day due to lack of experience and "strength".
    Currently there is now 1 ICT job in the west/east midlands and that's too far away for me to apply for.
    So I've been looking at what else I could do.
    My local middle school (KS3 only) is advertising for a CSA. It's not much money but I wondered if it would be better to apply for this and get some classroom experience than do supply? Would a CSA role look better or worse on my CV? Would it impact on my teaching job applications?
    I'm also hoping to do some maths CPD with my uni (NTU) next term to allow me to teach that too.

Thanks for the advice
    Kim

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

There are a couple of other considerations. Firstly, how much supply are you likely to get? If there's plenty of supply around where you live, your question is valid but, if there isn't, could you afford to go weeks, or months, without work? Secondly, neither look that good on your CV compared to a teaching post, but both look better than being unemployed. Supply might increase your chances of finding a job in a school but it's a big risk now that schools are using supply teachers less and less,

3. Hi
    Clearly any work that keeps you in touch with teaching, children and your subject will be good and better than nothing. The trick is to turn your experience to your advantage when it come for job applications and interviews and to explain such jobs as CSA etc as better than being unemployed and showing your determination to remain within teaching. Then use your experience to show how it has helped you as a teacher to understand cross curricular links, how pupils learn in other subjects and to see teaching from different perspectives.
    James

4. Thank you

I've signed up with 1 agency today and off to another tomorrow.
    hopefully something will happen!