1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - issues with delvery of lessons

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Hobbes_for_PM, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hi, hope you can give me some tips!
    Keep being told satisfactory with good elements (second placement) - good afl, activities, subject knowledge, relationships with students etc, but the one area that's letting me down is delivery of lessons/pedagogy. It's getting better, but wanted some pointers on how to improve my own practice or books that I could read which would help or definite yes and no points which support good delivery of lessons.
    thanks in advance

2. Hi, hope you can give me some tips!
    Keep being told satisfactory with good elements (second placement) - good afl, activities, subject knowledge, relationships with students etc, but the one area that's letting me down is delivery of lessons/pedagogy. It's getting better, but wanted some pointers on how to improve my own practice or books that I could read which would help or definite yes and no points which support good delivery of lessons.
    thanks in advance

3. Ask your mentor to recommend other teachers to observe. Good ones and bad ones will help you to identify successful elements.
    Yes - over act/ be expressive and excited about what you are teaching. Active participation.
    No - whispering monotones. Closed questions.
    Good luck!

4. It seems that all the basics and a good few higher elements are there in your lessons. So the delivery then is about presentation - acting skills - getting enthusiaim and engagement opver to the kids.
    One thing to do is ask if you can video bits of lessons so that you can see yourself 'performing' then thinbk of your lesson as a 'play' that needs to be performed. Listen to what you say and the tone etc. of your voice.
    Practise expressions in a mirror.
    There is a book called acting lessons for teachers which I think you can get from Amazon, other than that it is about observbimng others and developing a classroom persona for teaching.
    James

5. Make every class interesting to each students. In the movie "Fame", the drama teacher sets a good example. And read into books that could help you. But don't trust what the books says, cause mostly they are all just theories unless proven effective in your own class.