1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - Internal Candidates

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Alec2005, May 12, 2011.

1. Internal candidates don't always get the job. That's the whole point about advertisng a post, in order to get some kind of competition and to see whether there are better candidates. Even though your experience has been one-sided, many of us can tell you about the delight when we trumped internal candidate and got the job, or the dismay when we thought the job was in the bag which turned out to be anything but.
    Given the job situation, almost every interview will have one or more internal candidates - those who've been doing a similar job, those well known to the school through supply or placement, and those who are well connected. You just have to ignore all that and do your level best to shine at the interview, and it may just be possible that you have exactly what they are looking for. This could be at your next interview - so unless you go for it, you'll never know.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I would agree with the last post, I have been the internal candidate and not got the job and can also remember a situation when i was training when i attended an interview with another person from my course, there was an internal who was doing a 2nd mat leave in the school, we naturally assumed that she'd get the job, she didn't (neither did we though!!)
    for every internal that gets the job there is always one who didn't, keep plodding on....i had 7 interviews (!!!!!) before I got the job, think of all that experience! it's also disheartening to continually hear "oh if only we had two jobs, it was so close" at the end of the day they can't employ every one and i am sure you'll get there in the end

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I was offered my current position over an internal candidate who was doing a GTP and had been a TA at the school for a long time. I didn't even know until I started working with her a few months later. So it can happen.
    Just keep going. It sounds as though you have had really good feedback and you are getting more experience of school interviews. Good luck!

4. Thanks for the positive words guys, they've lifted my sprit somewhat. It's just rather frustrating! After coming from industry where I can't remember not getting the job at interview, it's a real shock to the system and quite disheartening.
    Oh well, onwards and upwards, as they say ;)

5. Hi
    In my experience, it is not always 'in the bag'. Many heads are looking for 'fresh blood' and even trainees on placement don't always get the advantage. I know of two recent cases where the placement trainee was not even interviewed and it went to one of the other students in their cohort.
    Of course there may be advantages to being an 'internal' but there can also be disadvantages. The management get to know your weaknesses as well as your strengths - whereas from outside you have the opportunity to control the weaknesses you are aksed to disclose.
    James

6. I can vouch for the fact that the internal candidate doesn't always get the job. It happened in my placement school last week. Don't panic, 5 interviews is not too many for you to be panicking, though I totally understand why you are desperate to find a job.
    Remember, jobs advertised after May half term will be primarily for NQT's due to the restrictions in teacher's contracts. So....no more internal candidates to worry about!

7. Not quite. It's only those who are currently working in school on contract who cannot resign at the end of the summer term if they haven't handed in their notice by the end of May. Even then, for a good reason, a school may negotiate release from contract. Then there are a large number of teachers who aren't on permanent contract, like those on fixed contract ending in the summer, supply teachers, those returning to teaching (often following their spouse/partner's redundancy), and increasingly, post-May job adverts give an option of either September or January start, enabling serving teachers to apply.

8. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I've been an internal candidate twice. First time I got the job (mainscale), second time I didn't (TLR). It's really hard to be internal as it's tough to answer questions as though the interviewer doesn't know you. I found myself second guessing things a lot and not promoting myself the way I would at a normal interview because it felt fake to tell them what they should already know. Very annoying when I reviewed my performance afterwards and was kicking myself.
    I've subsequently achieved AST status in my own school so I suppose what's meant for us won't pass us by.

9. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Moreover, if the school does not wish to appoint from the field that turns up post-May, they may readvertise in September in the hopes of getting a better field and/or appointing someone who can negotiate release by October half-term or similar. This is how I got my current position in the first place: I had quit my first job and gone travelling. When I returned, I applied for a maternity cover in the October and was against two NQTs and a more experienced teacher too. I was appointed, then had my contract extended. Then finally was interviewed for a permanent position against the GTP student who had been there as a TA too, and another external candidate. I got the job against a tough field and against the VERY popular GTP...the rest of the faculty were quite shocked when I returned from interview and gave them the news.

10. Its just happened to me today as well. I got to the school to be told that they shortlisted to three people but one dropped out when she found out there was an internal applicant. They told me that they would treat us both the same though.
    The feedback I got was I had an excellent interview with text book answers (their words), a good lesson which the children enjoyed and the only negative point was that I had to be more relaxed because I stopped a few children balancing on their chairs.
    The school said It wasnt in the bag for the internal candidate however she accidently seemed to have the schools ofsted report in her hand before the formal interview and what she beat me on alledgedly was she knew the school needed more sport....as per the ofsted report. I did read this before hand online but focussed more on the childrens targets.
    Onwards and upwards indeed.

11. I'll stick my tuppence worth in....I've had it both ways. Went from being a student and taking over my first class at my placement school, to not even getting shortlisted for the next post! Nobody was more surprised than me. Keep at it.

12. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

The school I am on placement at the moment recently conducted interviews for about 8 teachers of various subjects. Not one PGCE student on placement at the school (including myself) secured a position. They all went to 'outsiders'.
    My very first interview at a different school had an internal candidate and she got the job. My head said that internal candidates are the 'safe' bet. But if an external candidate comes in and wows them then they will take the risk. He also told me that if they have enough faith in their internal candidate, they will offer them the job and not advertise.

13. Did you take this a good thing or bad thing? I'd say it was somewhat negative. (But depends on how they said it ... context is everything I suppose.)
    "Accidently" ??? Are you implying that the school gave it to her, in an underhand/unfair way?
    ------------
    As a general comment - I've also seen it go both ways. I think that Heads of Department may be close to having made their mind up before an interview if there is an internal candidate, but other SLT membes or the Head Teacher are normally able to be more open minded, hence why there's normally more than one person interviewing you. Even if they have all but decided in advance, that may not necessarily be "wrong" as such - they could just know that the internal candidate is perfect for the job as they know him/her so well.
    It's a shame that shcools can't just appoint someone without the need for advertising, shortlisting and interviewing as it can be a waste of everybody's time (including those who apply in good faith and feel a bit cheated) - but that's the way it's gone in the public sector. There are a number of good things to have come out changes in recruitment practice and law, but a few bad ones as well.
    Good luck all!

14. I had an interview last week and there were 2 internal candidates. Neither of them got the job!

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errr they can should they so choose. And many schools do so.

16. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

I got a job as an internal candidate a few weeks ago. The interview was bad but they employed me on the comments made by staff in the department. I wouldn't have got the job had I been external so it is advantageous no doubts about it.