1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James ... informal school visit.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by fleecymango, Feb 1, 2011.

1. I am visiting a school tomorrow! eeekk
    I will be shown around by some year 6 children.
    I am currently in lectures (and writing this in my lunch break) but could you offer some advice.
    What kind of questions do you think they would ask?
    What kind of questions should I have prepared?
    I was thinking of wearing what I would wear to school on a school day but I am not sure if that is smart enough. (Brown woolen trousers, with a stripey shirt.)??
    Any more advice would be great. Feeling tres nervous!
    Thank you.

2. Formal clothing I would say is definitely a must (though obviously not too formal!)

I think that from things I have done on interviews in the past I would perhaps show that you are taking an interest in the children, i.e. favourite subject at school, a piece of work they have done (that may perhaps be on the wall) favourite visitor to school, extra curricular activities, are they on the school council (what is their role if this is the case) what do they like doing generally. I think that unless you go prepared to ask, the children can take you off on a tangent, this way you are 'leading' the visit, without actually making them aware that you are, because of the ownership they take from questions.

Hope this helps somewhat, and good luck!!