1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James.....induction, time frame and cover!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Thunderchild, Jul 9, 2011.

1. I recently spoke to the TDA about the induction year time frame that is in place. Apparently, if I start to cover through an agency, I have 16 months to complete my induction year. Am I right to assume that this refers to teaching only and not none teaching roles in the classroom such as cover supervisors? I must admit, I was put on hold every time I asked a question so he could go and find out the answer!

2. Dear ThunderchildAfter gaining your QTS you can undertake 16 months of supply work before you start induction if you can't get a permanent post or one year contract.
    The 16 months has a clock and it starts ticking from day one, even if you only rarely do supply work. (I was lucky I did 12 months supply and worked every day). It can also be extended for a further 12 months if you can't find a proper post for induction, whereby you apply to the LEA.
    As for Induction once you gain a post where you are doing induction its best to do all 3 terms consecutively. (But if you have a problem as I do and only get 2 terms done) There is no time limit on then getting the 3rd term done and you could take a gap year or two before returning to teaching to get the all important 3rd term.
    Remember its the all important 3rd term that means you pass or fail. Terms 1 and 2 can just be banked.
    As someone who has had lots of problems with Induction, please make sure you have a copy of the statutory guidance before you start - so you know your own roles and responsibilities (Section 6 pages 37-41) and my advice is keep a short diary about each day at work; in case you have problems later and you can refer to it.
    Good luck with your induction and I sincerely hope you both enjoy it and succeed - but it is tough - are you secondary or primary?
    Dear Thunderchild
    After gaining your QTS you can undertake 16 months of supply work before you start induction if you can't get a permanent post or one year contract.
    The 16 months has a clock and it starts ticking from day one, even if you only rarely do supply work. (I was lucky I did 12 months supply and worked every day). It can also be extended for a further 12 months if you can't find a proper post for induction, whereby you apply to the LEA.
    As for Induction once you gain a post where you are doing induction its best to do all 3 terms consecutively. (But if you have a problem as I do and only get 2 terms done) There is no time limit on then getting the 3rd term done and you could take a gap year or two before returning to teaching to get the all important 3rd term.
    Remember its the all important 3rd term that means you pass or fail. Terms 1 and 2 can just be banked.
    As someone who has had lots of problems with Induction, please make sure you have a copy of the statutory guidance before you start - so you know your own roles and responsibilities (Section 6 pages 37-41) and my advice is keep a short diary about each day at work; in case you have problems later and you can refer to it.
    Good luck with your induction and I sincerely hope you both enjoy it and succeed - but it is tough - are you secondary or primary?

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you join an agency and your first work is as a cover supervisor, it does not start the 16 month supply allowance counting down. As soon as you get a day as a teacher (agency or LA paid) and the placement is not intended to last for a term's length, the supply clock starts ticking and stops exactly 16 months later, irrespective of whether you got much dsupply work in that time period.
    You can of course start doing odd days/weeks of supply and then get an Induction termor two or three before the 16 months expires.
    I reached the end of my 16 month supply rule (then called the 4 term rule) with 2 Induction terms banked. I then had to stop taking daily supply work as there was no supply extension available at the time. I had 5 terms out of education and then got a final Induction term at one of my teaching practice schools.