1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, I'm so confused with leveling!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by starlight189, Jun 1, 2011.

1. My tutor wants me to level some work , so I'm trying to get some of it done over half term. At the moment I'm trying to level some Science (year 5) work on plants where the children focused on knowing the parts of a flowering plant. I also have some work on animal life cycles. Where do I start? I'm so confused! I tried searching for the APP grids, but I don't really understand how to apply them to this work. The NC level descriptors don't seem to apply 100% either.
    The school I'm in doesn't use APP - they're developing something else, but at the moment they seem to rely on optional SATs.
    Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. My tutor wants me to level some work , so I'm trying to get some of it done over half term. At the moment I'm trying to level some Science (year 5) work on plants where the children focused on knowing the parts of a flowering plant. I also have some work on animal life cycles. Where do I start? I'm so confused! I tried searching for the APP grids, but I don't really understand how to apply them to this work. The NC level descriptors don't seem to apply 100% either.
    The school I'm in doesn't use APP - they're developing something else, but at the moment they seem to rely on optional SATs.
    Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Have you checked the resources? I know I've put leveling bits in there but I'm afraid its for secondary D&T. Might be someone else whose done it for what you need though. x

4. Don't know if this will help - but if you have nothing else much to go on; Level 3 - student can identify parts of plant correctly. Level 4 - student can describe the parts, using the key terms. Level 5 - student is explaining and making links.

5. Maybe I should have mentioned - I'm not primary, or science! I'm head of humanities in a secondary school. I've spent alot of time looking at cross curricular levels, to help my understanding across the humanities subjects. The keys words for level descriptors are similar across subjects. Bloom's taxonomy is also useful to help understand what skills students need to improve their work.

6. Thanks for your advice :) I really appreciate your replies, and I think I've got my head around it now. I mananged to find some good stuff in the TES resources too - so thanks.