1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - I'm at breaking point

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Cervinia, May 26, 2011.

1. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Why are you in a school so far away/haven't you made arrangements to move (if only temporarily while on placement)?

But if you have said something that's not appropriate, they're more than entitled to pull you up on it. Why do you see them raising this issue with you as them not understanding you?
    We've all felt like that some days, especially during training.

2. Cervinia

Again, without wishing to sound harsh, the school's primary duty of care is to the children. If you've made what they deem to be innappropriate (sp?) comments towards pupils, they have a right to challenge you about this. Whether you understand or not doesn't matter.
    That sounds very good of the school.
    I wouldn't be able to teach effectively if I couldn't develop a rapport with individuals within, and, my class as a whole. I am able to do this effectively for a number of reasons:
    • I can understand their needs as learners, social beings and people by empathising with their situations, and act accordingly.
    • I can present myself very differently from how I actually am outside the classroom.
    • I maintain the role of 'teacher cervinia' by being a role model at all times throughout the school day - being mindful of what I say and do, and considering what impact this might have on others.
    • By accepting that I'm not perfect, and nor are children.
    • By, in some circumstances, not telling children exactly what I think - choosing words, tone and timing carefully in order to build their self confidence.
    Being a (good) teacher requires many social skills, which, as I don't know you personally, I have no right to judge whether you have these or not. But, I answer your comment as I would do to anybody else - if your mentors raise an issue with you, then you have to accept that and reflect inwardly about how you're going to address it.
    • You seemed in your first post to be suggesting that the fault lies with the school "they don't understand", whereas I would expect a reflective practicitioner to first question whether the criticisms are valid and that the fault actually lies with oneself.
    • Final point: for many reasons, teaching practice is often hard.You're not alone in feeling that.

3. Cervinia

Very little about the working life of a teacher is 'routine'.

4. theNavigator

theNavigator New commenter

I'm fascinated by people who have ASD and decide to become teachers. I know it seems like a lovely idea to impart the wealth of knowledge about your subject you have on others, but in practical terms it can clearly be very difficult and at times, very confusing. I worked with a teacher who clearly had Aspergers. At first I found it difficult to have a conversation with them, because their responses weren't always judged as you would expect, and they always seemed to be trying to... 'read' me. However, over time I cam to understand how they worked, and I began to enjoy their company. However, they needed proper support from the school management, and they were getting into bother because that wasn't really happening. Myself and a couple of other teachers appointed ourselves as 'translators' or advisors, suggesting the type of language that might be used when trying to communicate with parents in particular. In that particular school, everyone was very... polite to everyone else, and we perhaps tended to sugar-coat too much. The teacher with Aspergers obviously didn't do this, then got (understandably) upset when people reacted. This person, like the Original Poster, needed a mentor, to guide them through. It can be done.