1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - ICT Interview help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by bigt5287, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have an interview on Friday for my first post. I am aware of the order of the day and have to teach a 50 minute lesson as well as an interview with the head ad with a panel.
    Could you please advise me of what questions to expect at interview? I'm really nervous!
    Also, how likely is it they will offer it on the day? I was offered an interview the day after I applied but I have some reservations as it would mean I would have to relocate if I was offered the position. The school looks fantastic but the only drawback is the costs involved and as a current PGCE student who only finished my undergrad degree in the summer, I don't have much money. Do I tell them this on the day?
    Cheers,
    M

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Very.

Because of the way teaching notice periods work, almost all classroom teacher jobs are offered on the day (typically by phone that evening).

If offered, you may be able to get a few hours to think about it but that's it. And, unlike any previous job you've held, once you give a verbal yes, you can't change your mind. Well, OK, you can, but things can get pretty nasty if you do.

3. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

If you do not want to relocate then why you would apply for that job in the first place. If you tell them about not wanting to relocate or it costs you too much, the chances are they will very unlikely to offer you a post.

If you search on the Jobseekers forum, there is a list of questions that you might be asked. The list is in the pinned thread.

4. I don't mind relocating at all. It is just the costs involved; I was offered an interview the day after I saw the job/applied, so never really looked into the area. (I'm new to all this!!) Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in the area is going to cost me £650 unfurnished and no bills included. As you may be aware, this is a sizeable chunk of an NQT's salary. However, the school does look like a fantastic place to complete my induction year, should I be offered the position.