1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - I am allowed to teach Swimming?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by DB9required, May 10, 2011.

1. Hi James,

I am a NQT currently providing supply cover. I generally only teach KS1, but have been doing a little bit in the Junior school attached to the Infant school where I work.

The junior school have booked me to provide cover for swimming lessons in three weeks time. I was under the impression that teachers have to have a specific qualification in order to teach swimming (maybe life saving qualifications or alike)? Where can I find out exactly how I stand in this regard?

Thank you!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Are you not just accompanying them? x

3. as long as theres the right number of lifegaurds on duty/someone with the lifegaurd qualification there then you can teach it. there'll probably be a "swimming teacher" there as well from the pool who has a qualification and you can ask them for guidance.
    I've had to teach swimming a few times on supply, although I do have a qualification to teach it, it doesn't matter. you might just be accompanying them but every time I've gone I've been expected to teach. If you're not told what to do just do lots of repetition, doing different widths/lengths focusing on body posture, backstroke and breathing for the very beginners moving upto arms and legs, front crawl, breaststroke and general techniques. Ask them to swim a width/length to start to see how well they can swim and then build it up, especially if they're beginners/not very strong swimmers. just splashing and walking around in the water if they are scared of it, blowing bubbles, pushing off, breathing, hugging a float on their back and kicking, holding a float out in front of them using their arms thinking about their breathing. If all else fails play some games, how long can they hold their breath for, stay in a star fish, somersaults, diving, swimming to the bottom to get something, relay races, caterpillar swimming, sculling.
    By the time theyve got changed, on the pool side and got in you'll probably only have 30/20mins. Make sure you wear clothes you don't mind getting wet, splashy children! And obviously clean trainers/flip flops for the side.Hope I've given you some ideas. Have fun! I love teaching swimming and the children love it to.

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

My class last year had three ability groups for swimming, so I was required to work with the deep-end group. I am a really bad swimmer, so didn't really want to, but was given some guidance by the swimming teacher and there was a qualified lifeguard at all times. I'm just pleased they could already swim, because they sure didn't learn anything from me!