1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James, I am a NQT 4 months pregnant looking for work, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mpivm, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Dear James,

I am a Newly Qualified Teacher that it is 4 months pregnant. Shortly, I will be having an interview for a long term supply post that will possibly be for a whole year. The problem is that I am due to give birth in December. I just do not know what to do because if I talk to the school about my situation, they probably will not give me the position; on the other hand, if I do not say anything, I do not think it will be legal neither. I have been in contact with my union and they do not seem to know what to tell me. They just congratulate me! Should I wait to apply for a long term position after the baby is born; or is it ok to apply now? I would really appreciate your help.
    Thank you.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In theory, you do not need to tell the school your situation. However, as this is a supply post, you are not in a position to actually take it up for the period when the school requires you (leaving them in the bizarre position of having to advertise for a supply teacher to cover a supply teacher).
    My advice is seek a post after your baby is born.

3. Hi
    Strictly speaking you do not have to disclose your situation, but as you say, you know full well that you cannot fulfill the post on offer and that will leave the school in a difficult position. Only you can decide what you wish to do about this. If you can secure a one term post that would be better, but there may not be that many posts on offer in your area/age range. As professionals we do need to think about the children and how they may be affected by our actions. As professionals we also have to demonstrate behaviour that will go above and beyond the expectations for other jobs. What is trictly legal may not, in some cases be morally what we should do. It's tough when you have to think about your own position - employment, paying the bills etc. If you are with an agency then try to get them working hard for you on securing a position that means you don't have such a difficult decision to make.
    James