1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James - how to make the most of time before PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by yddraigcoch, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dear James,and anyone else reading this!
    I've just read a post where you've advised someone to "undertake preparatory work to make your time on the PGCE even more effective". As I'm starting my Primary PGCE in Sept I was wondering if you could expand on this. I have quite a lot of time on my hands and really want to make the most of it!
    Also, do you think it's worth reading up on maths, English and ICT and how to teach these even though I'm already pretty confident in these areas?
    Thank you

2. Dear James,and anyone else reading this!
    I've just read a post where you've advised someone to "undertake preparatory work to make your time on the PGCE even more effective". As I'm starting my Primary PGCE in Sept I was wondering if you could expand on this. I have quite a lot of time on my hands and really want to make the most of it!
    Also, do you think it's worth reading up on maths, English and ICT and how to teach these even though I'm already pretty confident in these areas?
    Thank you

3. I think the best preparation for the gruelling year of PGCE is to get plenty of rest and recreation! Seriously, unless you are fully rested and raring to go, you may very well burn out before the course is over, and the pressure increases exponentially in the last few months.Often it's that strength in reserve that carries you over the finishing line.
    If you still have time left, I suggest you do some light reading, such as children's literature for English, and do online practice tests for skills tests in numeracy, English and ICT.
    Your course provider will surely give you a long reading list, but be selective and don't overdo, especially educational theories. You will have time to do necessary reading on the course and for your assignments, and much of theories won't make sense until you start and are in school teaching and interactiving with pupils. Some light reading on behaviour management may be useful.
    Best practical preparation is to get extra voluntary experience in school, unless you have plenty already, having being a TA and so on. Any time you can spend in classroom will be worth while, as you are free from pressure of preparing lessons, being observed and doing 101 things!
    Also get your study and home environment into shape. Do your spring clean, sort out childcare (if you have any), spend time with loved ones and explain to them you will be invisible for a year, prepare your PC or Mac and printer with plenty of ink/toner/paper, but don't overdo buying stationery. Make sure your finance is in place, as the last thing you want is to worry about when the bills will be paid and the next meal is coming from. Fill up your freezer.
    Relax, take things easy, make sure you have a holiday, and come back in September ready and waiting!

4. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Get organised; files sorted out.... revise for the skills tests and book them as soon as you get your teacher number.