1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: history - toy sorting HELP - reception

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lauly, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Hello everyone!

I am a PGCE student and I have my university tutor coming in to observe me on Monday. I was just given my lessons for next week yesterday and have found out my obs lesson is one of my history lessons.
    The subject I have planned for the lesson is baby toys (so THEIR history) - so I am providing a range of 'baby' toys for them to become familiar with and for the intro/input I am wanting to provide them with sorting criteria to help them sort the baby toys from the non-baby toys.
    I was wondering if you could give me some advice as to some sorting criteria for my session as I want to make sure I get this session 'on the nose'. I have, in the past, had probems with the LO and am despirate to make a good impression. My LO is:

Use everyday words/phrases
    to describe toys from their past. Sort into baby toys and non-baby toys. Do you think this is ok? Or should I re-jig it?
    So I was thinking baby toys are: (for their sorting criteria)
    bright
    colourful
    soft (some are)
    easy to use
    chunky (easy to hold)
    material books - not paper
    educational

Do you think any others are pertinent or any of these are incorrect? have I missed any glaringly obvious ones?
    Also - I am not sure what to do for the other adult activity - I have
    also been criticised in the past for not correctly using the addn adult
    so want to make sure I put her to best use also. Do you think a IWB sorting activity would be good for her groups - though I was going to do that as the plenary.

I want to hit the 'outside learning' box too - but I am at a total loss about what I could do for this - I did want to use the LSA in the outdoors area but it is a pretty basic area and I have not got a huge amount of baby toys. I thought maybe sorting pictures of baby toys from non-baby toys into hoops on the outdoor area. This, however, would impact on my activity - because we both need to photograph our sessions for evidence and there is only one camera. I am aware we could share... but it may get tricky.
    Somebody please help - just a few words of advice to help settle my stomach and make me feel more confident going into the session.

Thanks in advance,

Lauly

2. Hello everyone!

I am a PGCE student and I have my university tutor coming in to observe me on Monday. I was just given my lessons for next week yesterday and have found out my obs lesson is one of my history lessons.
    The subject I have planned for the lesson is baby toys (so THEIR history) - so I am providing a range of 'baby' toys for them to become familiar with and for the intro/input I am wanting to provide them with sorting criteria to help them sort the baby toys from the non-baby toys.
    I was wondering if you could give me some advice as to some sorting criteria for my session as I want to make sure I get this session 'on the nose'. I have, in the past, had probems with the LO and am despirate to make a good impression. My LO is:

Use everyday words/phrases
    to describe toys from their past. Sort into baby toys and non-baby toys. Do you think this is ok? Or should I re-jig it?
    So I was thinking baby toys are: (for their sorting criteria)
    bright
    colourful
    soft (some are)
    easy to use
    chunky (easy to hold)
    material books - not paper
    educational

Do you think any others are pertinent or any of these are incorrect? have I missed any glaringly obvious ones?
    Also - I am not sure what to do for the other adult activity - I have
    also been criticised in the past for not correctly using the addn adult
    so want to make sure I put her to best use also. Do you think a IWB sorting activity would be good for her groups - though I was going to do that as the plenary.

I want to hit the 'outside learning' box too - but I am at a total loss about what I could do for this - I did want to use the LSA in the outdoors area but it is a pretty basic area and I have not got a huge amount of baby toys. I thought maybe sorting pictures of baby toys from non-baby toys into hoops on the outdoor area. This, however, would impact on my activity - because we both need to photograph our sessions for evidence and there is only one camera. I am aware we could share... but it may get tricky.
    Somebody please help - just a few words of advice to help settle my stomach and make me feel more confident going into the session.

Thanks in advance,

Lauly

3. Perhaps you might consider having 'baby' and 'child' versions of the same toys eg baby mobile-phone toy and one made for an older child, baby bricks and Lego bricks, baby soft doll and barbie doll etc. this could start a discussion about differences which could lead the children into identifying criteria for themselves. You could link the criteria they come up with with features of 'babyhood' eg Babies like to feel soft things; babies like bright colours; babies put things in their mouths; babies cannot hold very small things. You could also talk about safety. If it is about the children's own babyhoods maybe you could take a toy from your own babyhood and ask them to think of toys they have had since being babies. Your plan, at the moment, doesn't seem to clearly lead the children to think about their own pasts.Whether you use an IWB sorting activity depends on the quality of the activity and the quality of the plan you give your TA. If you use it as your plenary (or if you use it with a group) make sure it builds on the lesson rather than repeating the intro.Your outside activity of more sorting does not sound very appealing. I would be tempted to have baby dolls, prams, buggies, etc and encourage the children to do family role play. A supporting person can chat to the children about their babies and what babies are like. I'm wondering about the whole lesson structure. Does the school favour a very structured approach? Will they expect all the children to be doing specific activities related to your LO? Why doesn't your LO come from the EYFS?Why are you saying 'History' rather than 'Sense of Time' or 'Knowledge and Understanding of the World'?

4. Hello Thumbie,
    I used 'history' because I slipped up (oops!) - it is Knowledge and Understanding of the World - Time and People (in the Framweork for Children's Learning for 3 to 7-year-olds in Wales). My mentor refers to it as 'history' so I am used to thinking of it in that way (naughty I know!).

I originally put my LO as one from this: 'begin to identify differences between ways of life at different times' - but felt this was too broad for just a single session (though my current LO does cover this iat least partially - or I think it does!).

Thank you for pointing out that I am not leading the learners to think about their own pasts - I had not noticed this. Also - thanks for the honesty about the outdoor activity and for giving me ideas as to what I could possibly do as an alternative.

The school is quite structured, yes (or at least this is what I feel - it is only my first placement and though the system here should technically be less structured, in many cases [in my friends experiences] it is not). I am expected to provide activities which relate to my LO for all learners and I was also told that I am supposed to model an activity in my intro/input which is basically exactly the same as what we will be doing in the activities (this is what my mentor told me on Thursday) so that the children know what they are doing. I find this quite prescriptive and in my first few observations I have been picked up for not being prescriptive enough - maybe it is just the way of the school.

Thanks for all your help - it really means a lot that you have given me such a detailed and honest reply.

Lauly

5. Hi Lauly, I'm glad it was helpful. I was speaking as an English EYFS person, and don't know about differences in Wales. Your plan does seem to meet the requirement that children repeat what has been modelled for them in the intro, so if that is what's required .... Maybe, when you qualify you might think about other possible ways of working with early learners :)