1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear James: Help and advice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rlh1285, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi,

I just wanted a little bit of advice, I have been signed off since the beggining of October with post traumatic stress disorder after a car accident. I have been having treatment and am much better than I was, and have seen occupational health who have suggested a phased return starting in a week and a half. However, I don't think I am going to be ready (neither does my consultant) but I gave OH a rather rosy view of the situation (really stupid I know). I don't think I can move the goal post on return date again.

I am now at the point where I don't want to go back. I have found communications with the school extremely stressful and counter-productive, and think that it would be better for the school and for me to just walk away. I have had no assements for NQT year, and my union have advised me that I can ask for early release from my contract, which the school may not agree to.

I just wanted a bit of advice on how this would sit with starting my NQT year fresh somewhere else, and how to approach asking for early release.

Many thanks R

2. Hi,

I just wanted a little bit of advice, I have been signed off since the beggining of October with post traumatic stress disorder after a car accident. I have been having treatment and am much better than I was, and have seen occupational health who have suggested a phased return starting in a week and a half. However, I don't think I am going to be ready (neither does my consultant) but I gave OH a rather rosy view of the situation (really stupid I know). I don't think I can move the goal post on return date again.

I am now at the point where I don't want to go back. I have found communications with the school extremely stressful and counter-productive, and think that it would be better for the school and for me to just walk away. I have had no assements for NQT year, and my union have advised me that I can ask for early release from my contract, which the school may not agree to.

I just wanted a bit of advice on how this would sit with starting my NQT year fresh somewhere else, and how to approach asking for early release.

Many thanks R

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

The union are the ones who will negotiate the early release for you so speak to them and advise them that is what you would like to do.
    When you apply somewhere else you just need to address the situation on your covering letter stating what you achieved in the time you were there and why you had to leave, due to the car accident I can't see it going against you. Although just remember you won't necessarily be able to just walk into another NQT post so make sure you're ready for a stint of unemployment or another job for a while.
    Best of luck xx

4. Do contact your union if you need to negotiate an early release. The school may agree givcen the exceptional circumstances. As a full term has not been completed you would be starting from scratch with induction and would need to complete three full terms (or equivalent).
    James

5. Thanks for your help!

I spoke to my union who said that I need to talk to the school first. Is that true?

I know that I may not walk into another NQT job, and that supply is not always consistent, but I have made allowances for that and need to do the right thing for my health.

R

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Maybe its just courtesy,most early releases are negotiated for a different reason (possible failure) so its a bit different to your situation. I'd follow union advice.
    I agree health comes first, just wanted you to be aware. Its quite depressing on the unemployed forum. Hope your 100% happy & healthy again soon x